Everything an English Major Needs to Hear Now

At times of doubt we need to stand firm in our resolution. There is a reason why you chose this major, do not backtrack. From a fellow English major, here is all the things I learned in my first year of college.

40
Entrepreneur

Stop comparing yourself to others

You probably had a fair share of people look at you strangely when you tell them your major. Or the infamous, "Are you planning to be a teacher,"or,"what are you going to do with that major." It's okay to doubt yourself from time to time, even Psychologist Ellen Hendrikse said, "'We are each our own worst critic." Take some time to reflect on yourself, envision what you see yourself doing in the next 10 years or so.

You are more than books and writing!

The love for everything English is critical for this field but it is not limited to this. What this major tells people about you is your ability to critically think. People fail to realize that what they think is basic, is the most fundamental elements in society. Reading and writing are basic elements that most majors struggle with. Do not let someone dictate your competency. While you enlighten the room, others will fall short of your invaluable technique.

You are going to write extensively

Be prepared to write papers every week or researching everything about your topics. Your professors are already expecting you to come in with high levels of comprehension in the English language. Do not be surprised when your first paper is not as high as you expected. The criteria level between high school and college is drastically different, but what will help you is acknowledging all the critiques given. One major flaw for English majors is the ability to handle critiques earnestly. Remember professors do this for you to improve, so do not let your pride cloud your judgement. It hurts for someone to nit pick at our writing, but without it we would fall drastically behind. Say goodbye to your short summaries and 5 sentence essay structure and pick up some healthy habits. OWL Purdue will be your best friend throughout your four years.

Research the basics

Always refresh on your basics that includes grammar rules. Just because you are an English major does not make you an expert. A refresher constantly guarantees that we are still competent in our skills. Plus, any job or professor will appreciate you going the extra length in checking your errors. It saves time and professors will praise your writing. A compliment goes a long way. It can reassure your confidence in yourself. You are a great writer — apply yourself.

Common careers paths

Common career paths people think are: teacher, journalist, writer.

In reality here's some you might have not thought of :

Lawyer, Lexicographer, English as a foreign language teacher, Medical Field, Editor, Novelist, and Proofreader.

Be brave. You are doing great. Remember English majors are a special kind of breed.We love debating, reading, writing, storytelling. English majors are the best kinds of people.