Everyone Wants Something

Everyone Wants Something

Everyone seems to want something from me, but does anyone really care about me?

10
Everyone Wants Something
Cocoandcowe.com

Some days I feel less like a person and more like something disposable that people use and then toss away without a second thought. Everybody wants something from me, but does anyone really care about me as a person?

You know those "friends" who only text you when they want or need you to do something for them? Well I'm tired of those kinds of friends. Real friends won't use you like that and then not talk to you again until it is convenient for them, or until they need something else.

Sadly, as I am learning from life on my own, I've realized a lot of people in the world are like this. When did using other people become okay? It's not. Seeing value in others only by what they can do for you is not the way anyone human being deserves to be treated.

With everybody always wanting something from me, I've realized that I have every right to say no. If it asks too much, if I don't have the time, or if it interferes with time I need to spend on personal matters, it is okay to say no. I don't need to feel bad about saying no, either. I can't please everyone and I can't do everything. What I can do is make sure I take care of myself and my family first. If I wear myself out trying to help everyone, I would be sick and miserable. So, sometimes I'm going to say no.

If my willingness to help you out has been repeatedly taken advantage of, with no sign of gratitude, I'm going to tell you no. If you treat me like an object rather than a human being, you can bet I won't be running to your aid every time you need something.

Long gone are the days when I wanted everyone to like me. Pleasing people is no longer my goal. I'm sick of being used and then forgotten. I've gone into self-preservation mode. I can't do everything, because I'm only human.

Feeling human again is what I am trying to accomplish, but in order to do that I am going to have to make some changes in my life. The first change being, I'm not going to say yes every time someone ask me to do something for them. Secondly, I'm going to end contact with people who I know only take advantage of my kindness.

I'm not going to waste any more of my time or energy on people who don't care about me, but rather what they can get from me. I won't let them make me bitter, but I'm not going to let them take advantage of me either.

However, I'm not going to stop helping others, or let suspicion of someone's motives stop me from doing some good in this world. The world needs a little more kindness, a little less self-centeredness, and a few more genuine people.