What is the benefit of therapy?
Health Wellness

Stop the Stigma Around Therapy

Everyone could benefit from what therapy gives.

234
https://unsplash.com/photos/swEpE37HfRc

No one seems to want to admit they are in therapy. I know when I was in school, I used to think of any excuse possible to explain why I left school early every Thursday. I wanted to hide the fact that I was in therapy like many people do. People are uncomfortable regarding the topic of therapy because it is seen as a tool for those with debilitating mental illness or suffering severe personal trauma. But the benefits of therapy extend way beyond the mentally ill and those in periods of crisis. Everyone, even the happiest person in the world, could benefit from therapy.

Most choose to push their problems to the deepest pit in their minds rather than face it head-on. Therapy helps you deal with problems sooner rather than later, which can help you better attain peace in the long run. It doesn't have to be a huge, life-changing problem, but anything that causes you distress can be brought to therapy. Taking all of your problems into stride, swallowing your fears, and expecting to fix all of them relatively easily is not realistic. You do not have to take all the blows life delivers standing up. It is okay to turn to a therapist for help in handling emotions and dissecting problems to allow you to find solutions.

If you would see a gym trainer, dietitian, or anyone that can help with physical health, why wouldn't you see someone that can help with mental health as well? Taking care of yourself requires much more than working out and eating well. Your mental health has a huge impact on your well-being as well and can influence so many factors in your life. It is just as important, if not more, to maintain excellent mental health as well as physical health. It's like going to the doctor when you're sick; there's no shame in that. So why feel shame when you seek help when your mind is "sick?"

Most importantly for me, therapists are paid to be unbiased. A therapist gives you a completely impartial party to tell your problems to without any judgment or prior knowledge that could mislead them. And they are paid to listen, not to offer unsolicited advice as your friends may. They don't need to say anything unless you want them to. I can't think of anywhere else you could find such a listener. Their conversations are centered around YOU. They allow YOU to think about your own thoughts and opinions without the pressure of your peers' thoughts and opinions gnawing at you as you try to navigate your way through the problem.

I have been in therapy for about six years now and I look forward to it every time. Even if I just need an unbiased listening ear, my therapist is able to help me navigate my feelings through any situation. I always struggled with opening up and talking about my feelings, no matter how trivial they were. Therapy has helped me open up in a healthy way and learn to express my feelings and I get to do it in a supportive, non-judgmental environment that everyone needs and deserves.