Everyone Deserves Access To Affordable Healthcare

Basic human rights should not be debatable.

6

Being sick is never easy. But it has been made significantly harder due to rising healthcare costs. Americans can't afford to take time off work, let alone pay for those ridiculous medical bills. This battle becomes even harder for those with chronic health conditions because they have to deal with the impossible price of medication regularly. Nobody should have to choose between their health and being able to provide for their family, and it's time we make healthcare accessible for everyone.

This issue has been a point of debate for a long time. The main reason for the push-back against universal healthcare is the belief that healthcare is not a responsibility of the government and the potential cost on the United States. However currently, we spend two times as much as any other developed country, yet only rank 37th in healthcare systems. We are over-spending and could actually significantly decrease costs by switching to universal healthcare.

Japan is a shining example of the success of universal healthcare. Not only is healthcare virtually free for all citizens (and even non-citizens staying in the country for a year or more) but it is at a very high standard. Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world, and it is in no doubt thanks to the efficient healthcare system in place. The Japanese are very focused on preventative treatment, so they provide free screenings for certain diseases and even prenatal care. Everyone is provided healthcare through their employer, or if they are self-employed/unemployed they can apply for a National Health Insurance (NHI) tax. This is based on income so families won't have to struggle financially. The overall cost of healthcare products and services are preset significantly lower than the United States because Japan has discovered a cheaper way to manufacture and distribute them. An MRI is an expensive service to have in the United States, but it only costs $160 in Japan. They are the same quality, Japan just sets the cost of an MRI low so manufacturers will keep the product cost low as well.

Our solution seems very clear: switching to a universal healthcare system will create a happier, healthier America and save money overall. Unfortunately, politicians are not on our side. Pharma companies buy the support of politicians so they can continue to profit off the misery of the American people. It is our responsibility to help put those into office who have proven they won't sell their integrity for bribes. Together, we can make being sick a lot less difficult for millions of Americans.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web