The Most Wonderful Time of the Year Is Here

The best time of the year isn't Christmas, it's the Arkansas State Fair!

13
Facebook

It's the most wonderful time of the year! With the kids competing in showing, and the rides are all going. Everyone telling you be of good autumn cheer! It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I bet when you saw the title you were probably thinking "Most wonderful time of the year? Christmas? But, it's not Christmas time yet." Yeah, you're right, it's not Christmas season, BUT this certain season is by far a whole lot better than Christmas (in my opinion). IT'S FAIR SEASON!! Yaaaassss!

Now, I understand that fairs take part in different times of the year for a majority of states such as Kentucky and California's fairs are in the summer. Here, in Arkansas, when the days start to get shorter, the nights start cooling off and stores are selling Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations, you know that means...it's Fair Season! Many get excited for autumn, for the pumpkin spiced EVERYTHING, the colder weather, or knowing Halloween is coming. Those things are great, and don't get me wrong, I love Halloween, but the overbearing joy that lies in my heart as it jumps and flutters knowing that fairs are coming just puts the icing on top of the cake!

County Fair or State Fair, it didn't matter to me as long as my mom and I continued our tradition of actually going to the fair. It used to be my mom, my sister and I, but my sister was never into the rides and didn't enjoy the hustling around and the sweet aromas of overpriced food floating through the air. If you haven't been able to tell, I, on the other hand, basically lived for it. So, eventually it just became a tradition for mom and I until my brother became old enough to ride the rides.

State Fair was more of an entire family event and was hands down my most favorite thing ever. Jumping up and down in my seat as we approached the old fair grounds literally pulling everyone because they were always moving to slow for my liking. We were at the fair why weren't they hustling?! I could never understand my family's way of thinking. But, once you were through those gates it was like a whole new world. A compact, overcrowded, colorful, pricey new world. For years we would spend our days at the State Fair enjoying the festivities of rides and walking through the livestock barns, my most favorite was the horses. As well as watching the free entertainment that was present such as dog agility, concerts, or people preforming tricks with circus animals. But, eventually all good things must come to an end. The fair ended and I would have to wait for another year. Pure torture. It soon came to the point where my family stopped taking trips to the fair ending my most favorite thing to do, but they say when one door closes another one opens and boy did another one open! A big one! I soon got into FFA showing rabbits and dairy goats, I now got to miss school for a couple of days to hang out with not only my friends and my babies, my animals, but I got to sit at both the Faulkner County and State Fair all day! The best part...it was free!

There came a day were my agriculture teacher came up to me talking about being an Arkansas State Fair Jr. Ambassador. Wasn't quite sure what exactly a State Fair Jr. Ambassador was, but knowing it involved the fair I was sold. For five years, I wore a glorious purple polo letting everyone know that I worked for the fair. "The Arkansas State Fair Ambassadors are a select group of outstanding Junior Livestock Exhibitors from throughout the state who dedicate time volunteering at the Arkansas State Fair Complex each year. Ambassadors are responsible for many activities including elementary school tours of the Fair, livestock show ring assistance, State Fair office assistance, and being involved with special events held throughout the year." - Arkansas State Fair website. Getting to witness the fair before its opened to the public, or to be interviewed from news media about the fair and get to have opportunities every few will get to have was worth all the long tiring days and work put into those wonderful fair-filled days.

*Jr. Ambassadors in the State Fair parade!

If you are unsure about the fair, well, let me tell ya that there are plenty of reasons as to why you should give the fair a try!

Livestock Shows

Livestock shows are actually why we have the State Fair. It's true, livestock created the fair. It's a time for young showmen, like myself many moons ago, to get to exhibit all their hard work on their livestock. The types of livestock are from ducks, chickens, rabbits, goats, sheep, horses, and cows. There are a ton of animals at the fair and most of the time there is someone around to answer any questions you might have about showing or their livestock. Students work hard all year long to get their animals in a showing condition in order to compete for the big purple/or burlap banner and the big check!

Arts & Crafts

Animals not your thing? That's okay! Cause there is an arts and crafts exhibit where the young and old express their creative side. If you are a creative person, you can enter your pieces into the fair as well free of charge (at least that's how it is at our fairs).

The Rides

Need some excitement and a bit of an adrenaline rush in your life? Rides at a county fair are usually smaller and your options are slightly limited, but nether the less the rides are still fun! Now, at the State Fair that is when everything seems to be on steroids and are huge! So if you need a thrill, the State Fair rides got your back. Have a little one in your life and need something on a lot smaller scale? The State Fair usually has a kiddie corner portion of the fair and their are plenty of rides for your children. Hey, there's even a petting zoo!

Unusual Treats

I love fair food! Though its greasy as all get out and pricey, it still tastes so good! As a Jr. Ambassador, we basically lived out of the Pork Chop Shop and I'm not complaining, that was some fine dining for us Ambassadors! Hahaha! If you are looking for something interesting to eat, I highly recommend the fair. Ever heard of Baconade? No? Well, its bacon flavored lemonade. Sounds gross and it is gross but men seem to like it. How about some fried alligator or even some mutton? Yumm! Or how about a whole bucket of chili-cheese fries? Plenty of things to eat at the fair.

So, no matter the season or the reason there's no better way to spend a day! Hope y'all have fun memories at the beauty of the fair!