Is Evan McMullin The Country's Solution?

Can McMullin outrun Trump and Hillary?

5

In the midst of confusion from many Americans regarding who they will vote for in the upcoming election, former CIA agent Evan McMullin launched a bid for president. McMullin believes that it is not too late and that he may give Americans hope in a time of uncertainty about the nation’s future. Republicans including David French considered running but eventually decided not to. Although polls show that Hillary Is already ahead of Trump, McMullin could further derail his campaign (he is doing a fine job of that himself), with a well-funded one of his own. According to the wall street journal, “his longshot bid could potentially have an impact in key battleground states such as Ohio, Virginia and New Hampshire 1.”

In his Letter to America McMullin explained that he has served the country both through working with the CIA and as a senior national security and policy advisor in the House of Representatives. He assures the public that this experience has given him firsthand knowledge of the problems the country faces. He discusses how like many others he hoped that there would be better nominees and that now we are left with candidates “who are fundamentally unfit for the profound responsibilities they seek 2.” He ends the letter by saying that he believes that it is his task to run for president. Similarly, In Clinton’s speech at the Democratic Convention, she spent time discussing how her previous positions in the senate and as secretary of state have made her the most qualified for the position. How can we be sure that McMullin is more qualified than Clinton?

Following the Democratic convention, people are beginning to understand that Hillary Clinton is one of the nation’s only solutions. Unlike Trump, she believes that in order to manufacture change, the nation as a whole must work together. She does not claim that she alone is the answer to the nation’s pressing issues. Being this far in the election process, McMullin would have to find a way to draw in voters. As of now, he is not on the ballot, and would have to secure substantial funding. Hillary seems to have done this during the DNC and many rallies she has had during the past year. She has made her case and told the country how she plans to solve issues such as funding new jobs and gun laws.

Right now, McMullin may be able to calm the nation’s fear of the future of the country. People have been waiting for someone to write in as a candidate and seem to have lost hope. People should not become too optimistic, as in order for McMullin to secure a viable campaign and ultimately voters, he has a long way to go to catch up to Clinton and even Trump. With the general elections fast approaching, he would have to find a way to build up a stellar campaign.

1. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/08/08/anti-trump-republican-evan-mcmullin-announces-presidential-bid/

2. https://www.evanmcmullin.com/my_letter_to_america