Adventures Of European Cruising

Adventures Of European Cruising

"So, two camels and a carpet for your sister"?

36
Adventures Of European Cruising

All of these pictures throughout this article were taken by me!

"So two camels and a carpet for your sister", now that is something you don't hear everyday when going on vacation now is it? Funny story about that quote comes from the time my family and I went on one of our many European cruises for two weeks. We were in one of the many cities in Turkey and went exploring into the touristy market area, which I recommend doing only if you can handle the people coming up to you all the time bargaining. My brothers and I passed this one man selling carpets and he looks up at my brothers and I and says, "so two camels and a carpet for your sister." My brothers thought he was joking and they started laughing. I on the other hand laughed but uncertainly went, "are you serious?" My brothers chuckling go, "It'll take more than two camels to sell her," and come to find out the guy was serious. My friends that is only one of the many funny stories that happened while vacationing around Europe on our cruise.

Cruising around Europe is seriously the best way to go. I know many people have other opinions about it, but trust me, you won't regret it if you do go on one. You can eat all the food you want all day long, go rock climbing, go shopping at the mall, take a snooze, go bowling, go to the library, browse the internet, go to the casino, go to a pub, watch the world cup soccer games on the big flat screen while swimming in the pool, ice skating, swimming, dancing, go to the hands down the best shows they have at night, meet people from all over the world, go to the sports deck and play some mini putt putt, play some basketball/soccer or whatever else you'd like. There is nothing better than getting to sail to various countries for less than what you'd pay for if you backpacked or country hopped.

Have I convinced you somewhat to consider going on a European cruise yet? If so, you're in for the best two and half weeks of your life. No lie, I've made so many friends over the past couple of years with going on cruises and still to this day keep in touch. When you're on a ship for two and half weeks and see everyone all the time you begin to form friendships and it goes down like the romans do it, let me tell you. Since I've convinced you somewhat to consider going on a European cruise let me tell you about the few places you can possibly sail to.

1. Rome, Italy

That phrase, "When in Rome do it like the Romans do it," is pretty accurate to say the least. If the ship ends up going here on the itinerary please keep an eye out on anything valuable in pockets when getting off board. I had a bad experience and almost got pit pocketed by two guys. What they will do is corner you while the other distracts you and tries to steal your stuff. Also, if you go to the Vatican (which is pictured below) I beg you wear clothing that covers your whole body and no skin showing. If you have skin showing like I do below they will not let you in or you can buy scarfs like I had to and wear them around your legs and shoulders. It really is no joke y'all they seriously will escort you out of the Cathedral.

Here are some places or things to check off the bucket list when walking around this ancient city:

(Left to Right: The Trevi Fountain, The Cathedral, The famous Colosseum, some funny guys dressed up around the city, and the Altare Della Patria- is a monument built in honor of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy .)

Honestly though you can't go wrong when roaming around Rome and seeing all of the ancient history, the architectures of buildings, old churches, eating the amazing pizza, the pope, doing some shopping, eating gelato and many more.

2. Venice, Italy

Let me tell ya about Venice. It's like no other city I've been too. I mean who else has no roads and only canals? The price to go on a gondola is pretty pricy, but worth every euro. Venice, the capital of northern Italy’s Veneto region, is built on more than 100 small islands in a lagoon in the Adriatic Sea. Really, Venice has so much to offer and see that their is no right or wrong way to explore the beautiful city!

(Left to Right: Doing some shopping at all the shops/ markets, the bridge of sighs - Arched bridge named for sighs of prisoners crossing it en route from the Palazzo Ducale to prison., & of course Saint Mark's Basilica- which is a iconic cathedral with an on site museum. ) https://www.google.com/destination/map/topsights?q=venice+italy&client=safari&rls=en&site=search&output=search&dest_mid=/m/07_pf&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkh9ub08jTAhV

3. Athens, Greece

When thinking of Athens, Greece the first thing that comes to most people's minds are the Olympic games, which is where they originally started. I mean who wouldn't of wanted to witness the Olympic games back in the day? Athens has more to offer than just the Olympic games such as, the arts and architecture along with its democracy and the famous Parthenon. I mean hello the famous Parthenon that's in Nashville, TN is a replica of the original which I'm about to show you down below.

Here is a brief history of the Parthenon : The ancient Greeks built the Parthenon after another temple, which archeologists today call the "Pre-

Parthenon," was destroyed by Persians in 480 BC. The Greeks began construction on the current Parthenon in 447 BC. The Athenian empire was then at the height of its powers and dedicated the Parthenon to Athena, the patron goddess of Athens.

https://www.reference.com/history/parthenon-locate... .

After spending two hours of taking in some Athens, Greece history my family and I really enjoyed getting to see the stadium where the original olympics began and to this day its still managing to stay together.

4. Jerusalem & Bethlehem, Israel

Now where do I even begin with these two incredible cities that are apart of Israel? For as much as you hear about Israel on the news with everything going on, the country does have some deep religious history to show the world. My family and I went on a tour around both cities and were blown away by all the stories, ancient artifacts that are still around. Interesting fact, I found out while on our tour once we crossed the border into Bethlehem our tour guide was asked to get off the bus and switch with another tour guide due to political reasons. Did you know that Bethlehem means "house of meat" or "House of bread" ? Also, with Bethlehem being the birth place of Jesus they showed us where he had been laid to rest or they think along with Mary's tomb. Our tour guide also showed us the place where Jesus had risen from and kissed the rock. Now for Jerusalem. It's known as a place of pilgrimage and worship for jews. https://www.google.com/destination/map/topsights?q=venice+italy&client=safari&rls=en&site=search&output=search&dest_mid=/m/07_pf&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkh9ub08jTAhV

(Fun fact the picture in the middle is Mary's Tomb)

This next city Pompeii, which is my last city even though I have so many more I'd like to share with you. I guess this means you'll just have to go on a European Cruise to find out about all the incredible countries on your own!

5. Pompeii, Italy

Pompeii, Italy is definitely a must see city! My mom and I went on a tour with some friends to this historic site and I felt awful for all the poor people not being able to escape from the excoriating pain they had encountered. Pompei is with out a doubt one of the most significant proofs of Roman civilization. The eruption of Vesuvius: was the year 79 A.D. The scale of the tragedy was appalling: in what had been one of the most active and splendid Roman centres, life came to a permanent standstill. The thick layer of volcanic material which submerged it, made up to a large extent of ash and lapilli - non-hard material, unlike that which covered Herculaneum and which solidified into extremely hard stone -has meant that the city has remained intact until the present day. http://www.pompeionline.net/pompeii/

So has the curiosity of going on a European cruise triggered your mind yet? I hope it has because you seriously will not regret going on one. My family and I absolutely love going on them and doing all kinds of exploring whether it's going white water rafting in Croatia, going on historic tours, floating in the dead sea, snorkling, riding donkeys, or going on the zip line course.