Eugenia Cooney: A Spotlight on Online Bullying

This is a delicate matter that needs to be handled with care and loving support, not hateful comments and online bullying.

561
Instagram

Vlogging, a social medium that has racked up popularity in the past few years, has allowed many people the opportunity to jumpstart their fame with simply a video camera and a Youtube channel. Miranda Sings, Zoella, Shane Dawson and the like have all turned their once obscure vlogs into money-making careers. While still, there are many out there hoping to gain this kind of success.

One such vlogger is Eugenia Cooney, a New York native who's vlog focuses on different make-up and costume tutorials, while also putting out videos with everyday advice for her subscribers.

Cooney herself has recently been under media storm after many of her subscribers started and signed a petition against Cooney, urging that Youtube block her from the site and posting videos until she undergoes treatment for her apparent anorexia.

Most people tend to be in favor of the petition. Many of Cooney's fans have posted comments on her Instagram, urging her to seek treatment for her alleged eating disorder, claiming that they want to continue to watch her videos and can't do so unless she is healthy.

But don't we see what is happening here? The cycle is starting all over again. "You're beautiful, but..." Let's not pretend that comments like the one above are anything other than what we know to be true; they are just another form of the online bullying that has become and epidemic in our culture. People hiding behind their online profiles or anonymous comments, thinking they can get away without any consequences.

Have none of these so-called "fans" stopped to think about how these comments might be affecting her? Now, I am in no way belittling the seriousness of the medical condition that is anorexia. It is a severe eating disorder that needs to be handled with care. But, the thing is, the first step in fixing a problem is admitting that you have one. Coming to the conclusion that you need to get help and seek treatment for yourself, not because anyone else is telling you to.

The fact of the matter is, none of these people know the real Eugenia Cooney. Maybe she does struggle with anorexia; if that is the case, then the issue needs to be handled by her and her family and close friends. She deserves the respect of her privacy. Looking at her photos and videos, it is not hard to see that Cooney does appear to be extremely thin for someone of her age and height. With that being said, I'm sure the people watching her videos aren't the only ones who notice this. So allow her family and friends the chance to be her support system; she doesn't need a bunch of online nobodies telling her what to do. If anything, trying to take away her vlog, her creative and personal outlet, might worsen the situation. This is not an issue that is up for discussion with the thousands of people who simply watch her costume tutorials.

With all that being said, I will admit that I can see where people are coming from. I can see that there are people out there truly concerned about her and want her to get better. But really, we don't know what the actual situation is. Cooney has not addressed the media in terms of these recent events, and that eliminates any solid information that anyone could have. Maybe Cooney suffers from a medical condition that doesn't allow her to keep on much weight. Have we ever thought of the fact that maybe this is not something she can control?

When it comes down to it, this matter needs to be handled by Eugenia Cooney and her support system. If she is struggling with an eating disorder, then the best thing her fans can do for her is send their thoughts and prayers her way. This is a delicate matter that needs to be handled with care and loving support, not hateful comments and online bullying. Because nothing is going to change until Cooney herself decides she wants to change.