4 Restaurants Where You Can Travel Your Palette Without Leaving Madison

It feels like we’ve traveled far, but it was really only a 20-minute walk.

256
Mikayla Kelz

One thing people say about traveling to foreign places is how different or great the food is. Coming from a small town of 4000 people, there aren’t a lot of options to eat unless you like Hardee’s and other fast food restaurants. You can imagine my surprise when I got to Madison and there were almost more restaurants than people in my town.

One way I decided to immerse myself in Madison culture are the restaurants. Unfortunately, after the first few weeks, I realized how expensive eating out was, especially with a college student’s budget, plus I found myself indulging in the same restaurants, nothing new.

My roommate had recommended a Russian Dumpling place called, Paul’s Pel’meni. I love trying new foods here and was a solid reason to not go to Gordon’s for the one-hundredth time. I have to say I really enjoyed the food, the prices, spices, and overall service was great. The best thing that came out of this Russian getaway though was an idea my friends and I had of Ethnic Thursday.

Ethnic Thursday solves all the problems I’ve described. Once a week, on Thursday, we would as a group decide what restaurant we’d want to go to. The only rules were that it had to be a restaurant we’ve never been to, we have to order something we haven’t had before, and the restaurant has to be orientated around a culture or ethnicity.

From Japan to Nepal and Russia to Mexico, it feels like we’ve traveled far ways, but really it was only a twenty-minute walk. Here are a few of my favorite places we’ve gone and what I think about them.

1. Kabul

My all-time favorite restaurant that was an Ethnic Thursday treat is Kabul. It is located on state street and above ITS SUGAR. It’s classy with low lighting, but a very middle eastern feel. They serve Afghani food. The appetizer is Afghani pita bread with a cucumber and spicy bean sauce. The entree is truly mouthwatering though. There are many options to choose from, including vegetarian dishes. My personal favorite is a chicken breast with couscous in blueberry sauce. There is a lot happening in the did, but they make it work. Service is friendly and professional and great at giving suggestions for a dish if it is your first time. It is perfect for anyone craving something sweet or spicy. Baklava and a cup of Persian coffee is a great way to cleanse the pallet with a bit of sweetness after the meal as well.

2. Estacion Inka

Located on University Ave, it has a cool clean feel to it. Most of the decor is white besides various pictures that decorate the restaurant. The food is good. They have a few food known to Americans like fries and smoothies, but they put Peruvian twists on everything. When I went I got the Caribbean chicken platter that comes with refried green plantain, rice, beans, and creole salsa. I’m not going to lie, this was the first time I’ve ever tried plantain and it had the texture of a banana but tasted more like a French fry, it was amazing! This place uses a lot of beans, rice, and various vegetables to complement carefully roasted chicken and beef that brings you right into Peru. The food is a little greasy, but it helps the taste a lot. The smoothies are also amazing and add a whole coastal feel to it.

3. Maharani Indian Restaurant

There are so many different Indian places in Madison, but this place is truly the best. It’s located on Washington Ave and is a casual restaurant, the tablecloths just make it appear official. They serve a lunch buffet that I’ve never gone to but have heard good things about. When Ethnic Thursday group went we got different styles of curry, which was a lot, and bread. There are various types of naan bread that is a must get with any meal. Also if you like spicy this is the place for you. There are many soups, appetizers, and entrees that can make your face and ears very red. There are also milder options as well. Service is alright, but don’t expect the staff to be too friendly. It’s a popular place that many regulars go to, so you know it’s worth it, you are definitely getting your money’s worth in the amount and quantity of food.

4. Tutto Pasta

There are hundreds of places you can get pasta in Madison, but this place reigns as the best. I would spend the extra $5 and get pasta from here than Noodles and Company any day. The service is very friendly and not afraid to recommend dishes— they honestly make you feel like family.

The decor is classy, but not too much that you have to dress up. The food is absolutely wonderful; it fills you up and tastes amazing. The appetizer of breadsticks are always warm and pasta ingredients fresh.

If you’re looking for a place for a date, to take your parents, or reunite with friends in the city, this is it. It is located on state street and is a short stroll away from the Capitol, which isn’t the worst idea to walk off a few of the calories.

Other restaurants we’ve gone to include: Paul’s Pel’meni- 4.5 stars Koi Sushi- 3 stars Taiwan Little Eats- 3.5 stars Los Gemelos Restaurant- 3.8 stars Himal Chuli- 4 stars Parthenon Gyros- 4.5 stars

Ethnic Thursdays have been a huge eye-opener for me. It’s allowed me to experience new foods, hang out with friends in interesting settings, and given me something to look forward to every week. If you’re someone whose hesitant to try new foods or go somewhere different, I would suggest doing it step by step and gradually getting out of your comfort zone— it leads to good stories, good times, and even better friends.