16 Essential Classic Rock Songs You Need To Know

16 Essential Classic Rock Songs You Need to Know

"For those about to rock, we salute you." -AC/DC

1053

Classic rock is one of my many loves. I've been told that my music is lame, but in response I would like to see how Cardi B holds up to the likes of Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, and Jimi Hendrix. True masterpieces can stand the test of time and this genre has proved that it is finally deserving of some respect around here. Now all sorts of arguments can be made for which of this genre's songs are the best, but I'd like to opt for a list of which songs I consider to be the most essential. If you're looking to get into classic rock, and don't know where to start, here is the list for you.

1. "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult

Other than the fact that this was the song featured in SNL's "Needs More Cowbell" Skit, this song is one of my all-time favorites. Just listen to the song in its entirety and you'll understand why it made the list. It's not super loud and thrilling, but the whole of this song is perfect.

2. “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey

If you ever play a piano in a public space, this is probably one of the first five songs you'll be asked to play. With one of the most famous piano intros in all of classic rock history, "Don't Stop Believing" makes all the white people go crazy played at any group dancing event. Knowing this song is a rite of passage into humanity.

3. “Space Oddity” by David Bowie

I was listening to this song the other day in the car while I waited out the rain, and I realized just how much I enjoy it. Bowie is notorious for being a little "out there," but that is no reason not to listen to his music. This is a masterpiece of sci-fi esque music.

4. “House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals

If the guitar intro to this song doesn't get you involuntarily swaying to the music, I don't know what will. Dark and mysterious lyrics combine with music of the same style to make for quite the tune.

5. “Jukebox Hero” by Foreigner

The ultimate song of an underdog, this tune tells the tale of a man who buys a beat up six string in a second hand store and goes on to become a "jukebox hero." It also holds a special place in my heart because my roommate and I jammed to this song in the Steak N Shake drive thru multiple times.

6. “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC

You know how I said "Don't Fear the Reaper" isn't super loud and thrilling. Well, what that song isn't, this song is. From the beginning when you hear Brian Johnson's gravelly voice whispering "thunder" to the beat of the bass, you know you're about to get… well, thunderstruck.

7. “Fortunate Son” by Creedence Clearwater Revival

It'd be a shame to go through your life without listening to CCR, and it'd be a shame to go listening to CCR without listening to this song. Starting with an intro that makes you tap your toe and carrying into a wailing chorus, this song is another one of my favorites to belt out in the car. Not to mention the background of the Vietnam War that gives the song a political meaning as well.

8. “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas

Not a lot of songs feature the organ, but this one does and it does it with style. In addition to this, my current obsession with the TV series "Supernatural" has only strengthened my love for this song. As Dean would say, it's a classic and that's all the reason you need to listen to it. (Sorry about the 70s hair in this video)

9. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan

The first time I heard this song, it was performed by Guns 'N Roses. While I do love the whine of Axl Rose's voice, as with most other things, Dylan does it best. I think coming from a folk artist, it gives some more meaning to the song as well.

10. “La Grange” by ZZ Top

Need a touch of blues to your life? Well my friends ZZ Top are the guys for you. From their dirty boots, to their long beards, up to the classic sunglasses, everything about this band is classic and cool. Who to write a cool and smooth song but a group with the same traits? When the intro picks up at the beginning of the song, you won't be able to stay in your seat.

11. “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimi Hendrix

Did you really think you were going to get through a list of essential classic rock without seeing Hendrix? I didn't think so. Obviously one of his more famous pieces, that's no reason to leave this song by the wayside. Let the magical fingers of Hendrix serenade you as enjoy the riffs, chords, and sweet smooth lyrics of this song.

12. “Heat of the Moment” by Asia

Another song that I couldn't let off of this list because of my "Supernatural" obsession, Asia's done it again. I'd say this song is one of the more "classic" classic rock songs. I'd say it's more of a bop than a jam, but this is still a song you should include in your life.

13. “Heartbreaker” by Pat Benatar

This song is a classic female anthem, but you really wouldn't expect anything less of Pat Benatar would you? Have a man in your life that's no good for you? Dress up in a leather jumpsuit and sing him out of your life. Isn't that how you deal with all of your man problems? I bet this heartbreaker didn't mess around with Pat anymore after he heard this song. It'd be enough female power to scare the likes of any man away.

14. “Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks

I was once told (after a church function, mind you) that when I sing I sound like Stevie Nicks. Regardless of the truth in this statement, it led to my discovery of and love for this great artist. This song hauntingly brings up the past and instantly takes you back to a past filled with teen angst. This would be an assumption on my part seeing as I literally just graduated from my teens. Nicks isn't one to be ignored, however, and neither is this song.

15. “Paint it Black” by the Rolling Stones

It seems wrong to complete this list without bringing up some of the first rock artists to grace our planet. It might be time that someone tells Jagger to put away the rock lifestyle, but by no means should we put away his music. To all of the red doors out there, you know what's coming for you.

16. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen

Sure, maybe this song is played on the radio a bit too much. That doesn't mean it's any less of a masterpiece. One of my favorite things about this song is that it contains little mini songs within the entirety. Also, Freddie Mercury. Need I say more?