The Essence of Cool

The Essence of Cool

A summary of Alex Speight's rebellion

20
The Essence of Cool
the first photo of my tattoo on any social media

College.

A time for finding out who you truly are.

A time for really discovering your tastes.

A time for rebellion.

At my new student orientation, while I was with other new students, my mother was herded into a different room with all the other nervous parents. They told her not to worry if their children "rebelled"... some parents were appalled at this, and my mom (who's actually pretty cool and was not at all shocked) said that my school showed the parents pictures of tattoos and piercings, and told them not to make a big deal out of it. I of course rolled my eyes when my mom told me, and thought that they shouldn't have made a fuss about it. Who really does that stuff in college anyway?

Yet, a year later, I now have a nose ring, a tattoo and blue hair... #rebellion

I never thought I would be someone who would ever do any of these things, but here I am with an extra hole in my face and permanent ink on my body, and I love it. I make fun of it and call it rebellion, but in reality I think it is much more than that. Yes, it is me doing things that my father would have never let me do in high school, but they all also represent a different part of my life.

I got my nose pierced last December right before I went home for Christmas break with my friend, Quinn. It was terrifying, but I have my ears pierced five times, so I figured I could handle it...no. They stick a giant needle in the side of your nose! It's freaky and scary and also so cool. Getting a tattoo was even more frightening (I went with my same friend, Quinn, and no, they are not matching). I think it was scarier because it's permanent, but I'm so happy I have it. It's a way to always remember the way I saw the world when I was 19; full of light and positivity. I don't ever want to lose that mentality, and the tattoo is a constant reminder of the person I aspire to always be. So, a couple weeks ago when I felt the urge to dye part of my hair blue, I didn't second guess myself. I just did it.

It could be rebellion, but it could also be freedom. College is about discovering your freedom and doing the things you feel like you should do. I don't regret any of my "bad decisions." They make me who I am. Who I am is pretty damn cool.