What Does Equality Mean To America?

What Does Equality Mean To America?

Does America truly have the equality it preaches?

30499
What Does Equality Mean To America?
Surge

Equality is a right given to all the citizens of the United States of America, and the quote “all men are created equal” was a central idea in the Declaration of Independence, one of the most influential documents in our country’s history. Equality is everyone having the same fundamental rights, no matter the circumstance. Equality is everyone having the same worth. Although equality is a key tenet dating back to the founding of our country, it is not fully honored, even to this day. Many minority groups do not receive complete equality, both economically and socially. Equality is a lofty goal our country still strives toward.

We must keep continue to strive toward equality in this day in age. Already, our nation has progressed. We have given all citizens the right to vote, the rights to many basic freedoms citizens of other countries simply do not possess. We have the right to free speech, more freedom than 40% of the planet. We have the right to bear arms, the right to fair trial, among numerous other freedoms.

Yet, the United States is not perfect. Social equality still has not arrived for many African Americans and Latinos, with arrest and conviction rates much higher than their white counterparts still prevalent. These minorities suffer social injustice and prejudice. Muslim Americans have oft been falsely accused and derided because of their religion. Economic equality has not been realized either, and a wage gap of 20% persists.

But, we can change this. Us as a nation must stand for equality and strive for the ideal world where everyone is equal.