Why I Don't Enjoy Scary Movies

Why I Don't Enjoy Scary Movies

Nightmares & anxiety aren't my idea of a good time.

27
Why I Don't Enjoy Scary Movies
Google

As October rolls around, I am expecting to see a plethora of scary movies appearing in the theaters. And while some viewers can't seem to get enough horror films and ghostly shows I can't get far enough away from them. I absolutely hate scary movies- they give me bad dreams, make me uncomfortable, and leave me feeling stressed out and anxious.

A large factor that contributes to my dislike of horror movies is the idea of the supernatural (ie. ghosts, demons, the devil, etc.). Movies such as The Conjuring, Insidious, Annabelle, and Lights Out, terrify me. The idea of a demon or devil-like character taking over the body of a human being is horrid. And, more often than not, the characters in these movies have great difficulties saving themselves from such powerful beings or spirits. I simply cannot stand to sit through such supernatural scary films.

On the contrary, a "scary" movie that I can stand and sometimes (though rarely) enjoy are the films that are purely human-based, meaning they have no mentioning of the supernatural. For example, I enjoy The Purge series. The idea of a 12-hour no laws no crimes time period is scary, but realistic in a way that I can sleep at night without feeling terrified of my unconscious self. Another bearable scary movie that I've watched recently is Don't Breath, where the plot of the movie surrounds two teenagers breaking into a blind man's house to steal his fortunes. Scary movies with human-based and somewhat realistic plot schemes are tolerable to me because I feel like these situations are less likely to actually occur to me in real life. The idea of a crimeless night is not going to actually happen in my state, and I never plan on breaking into anyone's home- therefore those movies don't scare me in a way that demons could.

However, the idea of the devil being real or ghosts or spirits being real actually seems plausible to me. Lucid dreaming for example, is an idea that is widely backed by science, yet is terrifying and demonic by all means, as it parallels sleep paralysis. I also go to a Catholic University, where ideas of the devil, sin, and exorcisms are not uncommon in conversation. I've even had a monk at my college tell me about his personal experiences while performing exorcisms- which is some scary stuff.

So that's why I don't enjoy scary movies, because some of the plots or ideas of them seem plausible, or at least likely to happen given certain circumstances. And from the few scary movies that I have seen, I know better than to go looking for anything spooky and horrid. So long story short- please be careful, you never know what life has in store for you this October, even if it's just a nightmare. ;)