The End Of An Era: 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'

My review of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt."

20

This article contains spoilers for "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt."

On January 25th, 2019, "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" released the second half of its final season, and I knew that I had to binge this for the next two days. Since the premiere of the show in April of 2015, I have found it hilarious, touching, and a show for my dad and I to bond over. From Titus' Pinot Noir song to his "Magic Boys" rap, the show has never failed to make me laugh or smile on the not so cheery days.

Kimmy Schmidt was an underrated show in my opinion. It had good political commentary, jokes that almost always landed, and the main character whose spirit was never broken.

Here's a refresher of the series if you need one:

After being in a bunker for 15 years, Kimmy and a few other girls are found by a SWAT team and have to adjust to life. The "mole women" become the talk around the country and end up on "The Today Show" where they're interviewed by Matt Lauer. After Kimmy is asked what she'll do next by Matt, she decides that she's going to live in New York City and start a new life. Kimmy ends up meeting Titus Andromedon, her new roommate, Lillian, her new landlord, and Jacqueline, a woman who has everything handed to her, that Kimmy ends up working for.

The way that the series ended was very full circle. Kimmy ends up creating a book universe that helps boys not grow up to creep like the Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne, the man who kidnapped her, Titus lands a role in "The Lion King" (the show he auditioned for when he first came to New York but didn't end up being cast) and ends up marrying Mikey, his love from the first season, Jacqueline ends up becoming a successful talent agent, something that she realizes she's actually good at in the third season, and Lillian becomes the voice of the New York City subway system.

This series was something special to me and I'm sad to see that it's time has ended. During high school, I told my dad one night that we should watch it during dinner. I had already watched the first season, but he hadn't seen anything of it yet. He thought that the series was funny and it soon became a show that we watched during dinner together.

The one thing that I loved about "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," was how it managed to stay pure, yet was still funny enough to be an adult show. Kimmy is stuck in an eighth-graders mindset through the whole series since that was the age she was kidnapped at. She hasn't been "corrupted" by the world yet and sometimes that mindset is helpful to her.

For example, in the last season in the episode "Sliding Van Doors," a man hops out of a van outside Titus and Kimmy's apartment where they're hanging out. The man says that he needs to come inside to give them some new free TV channels, but Kimmy figures out that the man is going to try and murder her and Titus because the van has no logo on it, the man doesn't say what cable company he's from, and he has an awfully large bag to carry equipment in for being a cable guy.

Finding a show like "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" that is so loveable and funny while being politically correct is hard. I'm sad to see that it's come to an end, but since it's a Netflix original, it will be able to binge over and over for forever so fans will never lose Kimmy.

And remember this: Females are strong as hell!