En Vogue

En Vogue

Five ways to tell you're a fashionista.

6
En Vogue

When it comes to fashion, there are two groups of people—those who keep it simple with your average T-shirt and jeans, and then there are those who take it to serious levels, with the view that their clothes are an important part of their identity.

Urban Dictionary defines a "fashionista" as “a person devoted to fashion clothing, particularly unique or high fashion.” Some renowned fashionistas who express themselves through their clothing include Zendaya, Princess Kate Middleton, Lupita Nyanga, Miley Cyrus, Jaden Smith, Rihanna, Cara Delevigne and Kanye West.

I would like to reiterate that a fashionista must be distinguished from a mere trend-follower or one who “obsessively follows trends.” True fashionistas are trendy, indeed, but they own their style by making it unique to their particular taste.

You know you’re a fashionista when:

1. “License and registration, please.”

Everyone has a little critic inside, and for the fashionista, this is especially true when it comes to dress. It is extremely difficult for someone very fashion-sensical to ignore major outfit blunders. So you can imagine why fashionistas have trouble with being the fashion police. If an outfit is not quite on point, the fashionista in your friend group has already caught on and will offer their advice…whether you asked or not. For a fashionista, it is extremely difficult to sit back and allow the opportunity to “perfect” a look pass them by.

2. It’s not a red carpet event?!

One of the most common struggles of a fashionista include overdressing. If you are a fashionista, you get asked why you are all dressed up at least 10 times a day. Funny thing is, dressing your best is not an option for you. When you simply dress to go the grocery store, you end up looking good enough to go on a date. It is just who you are inside, and you cannot help yourself. You enjoy the compliments, though!

3. Shopping sprees

As a fashionista, you are probably a favored customer at lots of clothing stores and sites because you shop, shop, shop! You love discovering new, unique clothing pieces and cannot resist shopping, even though your closet is already bursting at the seams. If you discover a new style or unique shade of an item that you do not own, you just have to get it!

4. Where to wear?

Unfortunately for a fashionista, there is only one of you and thousands of pieces of clothing that you have yet to wear. You shriek with joy as you purchase your favorite styles, but then you sigh as you realize there are not enough occasions to accommodate your countless ‘fits.

5. Feelin’ like Michael Costello

When your Empire State Building expectations for fashion are crushed by your local clothing stores, it makes you sad. All fashionistas are also inner designers. They see improvements on almost every piece of clothing while they shop, and it is rare when a piece is everything he or she could hope for. You know you’re a fashionista when you honestly wish you had a personal seamstress.