Why Cancer Is So Easy To Hate
Health Wellness

Dear Cancer, We All Hate You. Sincerely, Everyone

It takes children. It takes the healthy. It takes the too young. It takes loved ones. It takes too many.

253

Regardless of all the disagreements in this country, and this world, I think everyone can agree on one thing. Cancer sucks. It destroys lives, cuts them short, and takes without thought. It has no remorse, no care for humanity. And the worst part of it all? It currently has no cure. No way to stop it.

I have experienced cancer several times through loved ones and friends. It takes a strong person and breaks their will. It takes a healthy person and ruins their body. It causes disaster and distress. It is the most heartbreaking and frustrating thing to watch, someone you love devastated by a disease and there is nothing you or anyone else can do. You can hope, you can pray, you can see the best doctors, but ultimately you cannot control the outcome.

The pain it causes is hard to watch. Not only does it come in with a warning of a life cut short, it makes the short rest of life painful and hard to deal with. Your body begins to crumble and turn against you. The simple parts of life such as breathing and simple mobility become mountains too hard to climb.

Cancer does not discriminate. It takes who it pleases, no matter race, gender, social status, age, etc. It doesn't care what you had planned in life. It doesn't care how many people love you or hate you. It just takes.

It's not fair. It sucks. But it is what it is. We try to get regular exams to catch it early, and stay aware of how to spot the signs. We pray it doesn't affect our family or friends, and when it does, we pray it will go away.

If cancer hasn't affected you yet, thank your lucky stars. And if it has, know that you're not alone. We are all a great big part of the army against this monster of a disease, and we pray that one day it will be a thing of the past, or at least as curable as the common cold.