15 Tips You Need To Survive College

15 Tips You Need To Survive College

Consider this Emily's Declassified College Survival Guide.

35
15 Tips You Need To Survive College
forbes.com

College is a time of self-discovery. Between classes, homework, and maintaining a social life, college can pretty stressful. However, it can also be very fun! During freshman year, I learned several lessons that helped me survive. Hopefully, they'll help you too!

1. Be open to new things.

College is the best time to try new things. Be friends with a person you never thought you would hang out with. Go to the lecture that sounds interesting. It is good to branch out of your comfort zone.

2. Find a balance between work and play.

Don't ignore your assignments until the day before they're due. All nighters are not fun. However, do not drown yourself in work. Make time for having fun.

3. Get involved.

Getting involved is a great way to meet new people and step out of your comfort zone!

4. Get to know your professors.

Most professors are really great people and want to help you in any way! Don't be afraid to go to office hours or even grab lunch. You'll make great connections and they'll know you when they see you in class.

5. The first person you meet doesn't have to be your best friend.

You meet so many people during move-in day and orientation. You don't have to be friends with everyone you meet. Find people that you feel comfortable with and can be yourself around.

6. Find time to relax.

Me time is a luxury few can afford in college but it is VERY important that you make time for yourself. An hour a day to listen to music and chill or read is can keep you from becoming a zombie.

7. Call mom.

Parents are the ultimate problem solvers. Don't forget that when you move away. It never hurts to call or text them a quick "I love you."

8. Sleep while you can.

Another luxury in college? Sleep! There never seems to be enough of it. Cherish your sleep while you can!

9. College is nothing like your high school teachers say it will be.

My teachers used to say: "This won't work in college," and "In college, you'll only have two tests so you need to study really hard." What I have learned is that every college, every class, and every professor is different. Don't base your idea of college on what other people say it's going to be.

10. Try to find your books online.

Books are SUPER expensive! Try to find cheaper alternatives like buying them used, renting them, or finding online versions. It'll save you a ton of money.

11. Grades don't define you.

Your worth is not tied up in what grades you make. If you don't have a 4.0, that doesn't mean that you're stupid or worthless. College is harder than high school and it takes getting used to. So what if you made a C on that test. As long as you're trying your best and learning, you're doing great!

12. Stay organized.

Staying organized is probably the most important thing that you can do. I write everything down in my planner, have a desk calendar, and make daily to-do lists. Some people use apps to keep track of their homework and important events. Whatever method you use, keep track of due dates!

13. You don't have to go to parties to have fun.

I have had the most fun hanging out in a friends room and watching Disney movies. If parties are your thing, go for it. But for those of us who would rather have a night in with friends, don't be ashamed. Don't feel like you have to go to parties to have a good time in college.

14. Go to class.

I cannot stress this enough! Despite the fact that you are paying for your education, you normally can't afford to skip class. Falling behind in college is very easy to do even if you aren't skipping. Don't make things harder for yourself. (But if you're sick, please stay home. Don't risk your health!)

15. Time flies.

MAJOR CHEESE ALERT!! Graduation feels like yesterday and now I'm almost done with my first year at college. Four years may seem like forever, but it'll be gone before you know it! Make the most of your four years before they're gone.