The Importance Of Embracing Your Flaws

The Importance Of Embracing Your Flaws

Spoiler alert: I'm not afraid of being me!

815
The Importance Of Embracing Your Flaws
Allison Murphy

There has always been a topic that so many people shy away from talking about. That topic is weakness and flaws. Society puts such an emphasis on how everyone should be so similar and to not show any weakness. Crying or showing any emotion but happiness is not accepted. That is not what should be promoted though. People's individuality and "flaws" should be embraced. This is what makes a person who they are.

Without these flaws, we would all be too similar. People often try to hide their flaws and emotions because they do not want people to perceive them as weak or vulnerable.The need to be perfect consumes so many people's minds. It gives so many people a reason to want to change their biggest insecurities. It also makes a person begin to compare themselves to so many people around them. At least that's how my life has been for so long.

I have never wanted anyone to know or see any of my flaws. I did not need someone to use them against me or to see me as weak. Everyone has something they wish they could change about themselves. Something they wish they could have that another person has. That is not how life works though. You are created perfectly imperfect. You are not alone because somewhere out there someone is dealing with that exact same insecurity, flaw, or weakness. You look for something to "fix" you, but in reality, you do not need to be fixed, all you need is to embrace these flaws.

This has been the most difficult lesson I have faced this year. In my head, I have always known that there is someone out there who is prettier, smarter, gets all the boys, is skinnier, or happier. But maybe they do not want all of that. They could want some aspect of my life. That is one hard thing for me to grasp. Getting out of my head is another issue I have. I get so wrapped up in one thing that has happened to me and I cannot seem to let it go. I so badly want to let it go, but for some reason, I just can't at times.

I'm slowly beginning to feel comfortable showing my weaknesses and flaws to all those around me. The more you suppress these weaknesses and flaws the more likely they will one day catch up to you and be too much to handle. Sometimes I wish we could live in a world where all these weaknesses and flaws could be seen for the true beauty that they are. That's not a possibility though because we live in a world where we need to fight the social norm and EMBRACE all of these flaws that we have.

We need these flaws to be who we are. Regardless if you are someone who hides them or shows your flaws, they are still a big part of who you are. We can't control any of these flaws, but we can most certainly use them to our advantage and grow from them. So begin to start showing your flaws and weaknesses and once you've done that, embrace them!