Why You Should Embrace Being Young And Twenty

Adulthood... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
71

Red plastic cups crushed beneath feet and the smell of beer clinging to clothes. A photo is taken for Instagram of a group of smiling friends captured in a moment of pure bliss. FILTER: Gingham. CAPTION: "we came to party!"

We are young and twenty. Our bodies bounce back at an alarming rate. We date the wrong guys, eat freely at 3 a.m., and are the only demographic who are willing to be in a constant state of inebriation for more than 24 hours at a time. Our intentions are pure and for us, life has just begun.

With this being said, I find myself asking one very important question: What is the rush to grow up?

It's crazy to me all the time we spend worrying about the next 70 years of our life. There is a short period of time we have to behave radically, laugh obnoxiously, and experience youth to its fullest extent.

When I was 12-years-old, I wondered where I'd be at 16. When I was 16-years-old, I wondered where I'd be at 20. Now that I'm 20-years-old I often wonder where I'll be at 30. Will I be married? Have kids? Love my job? Feel successful? Be happy?

My biggest fear in life is waking up one day at 40-years-old and wishing I was 20. Whoever said "being in your 20s is the hardest time of your life" was clearly a 20-year-old college student in the midst of finals. I see adults around me who have brought me to one final conclusion: being an adult sucks.

We have the rest of our lives to stress, plan, and navigate through all of life's responsibilities. I'd hate to waste what I like to consider the pinnacle of my youth on premature adulthood.

Time feels like it's slipping through the cracks and there isn't anything I can do to stop it. With that being said, I want to spend my youth embracing my 20s and loving every minute of it.