What I Know For Sure...

What I Know For Sure...

What I would tell myself as soon to be 20 year old

16
What I Know For Sure...

As I reflect and look back and embrace myself turning 30 in a few short months, I wanted to look back and share what all I have learned in my decade in the 20s. There was so much discovery and learning that I did, and the best way to do that, is to write a letter to a 19 year old me. Call it my What I Know For Sure phase letter...

Dear soon to be 20 year old you,

Hey you! Hard to believe that in a couple of months that you will be 20 years old. You have accomplished so much in your 19 years of existence. You've weathered many storms within the last year. Everything from saying goodbye to a parent, starting a new chapter in college to meeting new people you've never expected. As you begin to embrace a new chapter of life in your 20s, its time to reflect and look ahead at this exciting new chapter. Shall we?

ACCEPT REJECTIONS: its no secret that rejections stink, I mean really really stink. You will hear the words like 'no', 'not yet' or 'thanks for your submission, but at this point, we have decided to go with another candidate at this time' quite often. This isn't the time to get depressed and shut out the world. Sure, you may get discouraged and may want to quit, but you need to ask yourself, who's gonna get the bigger win in this journey called life? Nobody is perfect and just know that your flaws are gonna become your greatest asset. Everyone has or is going to be rejected. Rejection will not stop in your 20s, it will hit throughout post college, into your 30s and even in your 40s. Just know that if you are rejected, its just a process of the continuation of your inner beauty shining through. Embrace the rejections.

EXPLORE AND ENJOY: your 20s are all about discovery. What fun is exploring when you are limited to your smart devices and are small minded at how the world works? Sure, you might say that social media is a wonderful way to explore things and places, but you are limiting yourself if you choose to be with certain groups and cliques. Give yourself a technology fast every once in a while to discover where you live at. If you are living away from home at a college campus, explore the town. Even though you're there for temporary, you might discover cool things about your small town. Make it a mission to talk to a person once a day that you don't know. Find out about why they love enjoying living on a small town compared to the large city. Embrace the changes of the seasons by taking a walk with friends. A whole world is out there waiting for you to enjoy and discover. You just gotta put down the iPhone first.

MAKE YOUR MISTAKE YOUR MESSAGE: so you made a mistake by signing up for that credit card that you really had no business doing. Or perhaps you made a really big purchase without consulting with your parents or someone else that's responsible. Now, you find yourself in a big mess that you can't get out of. Don't wave the white flag of surrender, rather own up to your mistake by making it your message. After you become educated in how things like credit works, or making the difference between leasing and owning, take your mistakes and change it into a message. Volunteer at a community center, helping other people from going down the same dreaded mistake. Dreaded something that you did as a teenager? Be a mentor to a young person and share your personal story about how its not worth it sneaking out only to be busted by it.

LIVE IN THE NOW: don't worry about how life is going to turn out for you when you are approaching 30, just live in the moment-right now. Take a break for you! Reward yourself with a massage, go on a weekend getaway with your girlfriends, detox your body with simple meditation or prayer. Don't worry about the things in the past or what's yet to come. You will find your best happiness when you live in the present. If you have friends or family that loves to bring up things that happened 5 years ago, chances are that they aren't happy with themselves right now and simply want to take someone else to drown in their disappointment. I'm not saying to completely delete them out of your life, but simply say that I'm living in the present and not in the past and I am happy-and that's it. No need to start up arguments and fighting. Everyone has the same amount of time from the time we wake up to the time we go to sleep. What will you make of your right now?

These four tips will help you through your decade in the 20s. It will also make going from your 20s to your 30s a smooth transition. Just breathe and welcome the unforeseen in your life. You won't regret it.