Embrace Being Independent, You're Living Right

Being dependent is so last season.

300
Independent.ie

To all the people out there who are independent, like Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's, embrace it. Why embrace it? Independence is a great quality to have. The universe isn't going to give you what you want, and nobody can put you up on a pedestal. Being independent shows that you are your own person and that you can survive and thrive without the constant need of others.

In this day and age, people seem to be very dependent on others. It can be rare to find a person who is confident enough in their own abilities to be able to carry out tasks on their own. These people are the role models, the ones who take the initiative, and they know what they want in life. They don't need the opinions of others.

Being independent can cause some misconceptions. Like if a woman is independent and has a strong work ethic, she may be labeled "bossy" or a "diva". A man that is the exact same way is praised for how he is. This is frustrating because no matter what your gender, you should be treated with utmost respect and integrity. Being independent can cause people to believe that you are arrogant, selfish, and don't want others' help. You can be independent while being humble, compassionate, and accepting of others' help.

Keep doing you my friends, because you are living your life how you should be: on your own terms. Never let anyone, including yourself, hold you back from doing what you want. But, never be afraid to ask for assistance in achieving your goals because you never know when you may need it. There's something empowering about being your own person.

To me, individuality is valuable. Not every person is the same, so everyone is one-of-a-kind. I'm not implying the "special snowflake" theory where everyone deserves a prize, but the beauty of this life is that you can create it however you want. Life molds to you and nobody else's decisions change your life but yours.

I have been independent for as long as I can remember. I started walking at 10 months old, and I would clean up the toys at preschool without assistance. In high school, I would try with all my might to accomplish assignments on my own. Even into my first semester of college, I was reluctant to go to office hours for help. Then I realized that it's okay to go to people who can aid you in becoming better, and that you aren't sacrificing your independence.

Going back to the beginning using Holly Golightly as an example of independence, I love how strong she is. To others, she may seem like a ditz, but she goes after what she wants. She is perfectly content with just being by herself and her cat in her apartment. What I love the most about her is that she even though she viewed love as being a cage, she was able to let Paul Varjak in. She carried so much class and grace, and always put herself first.

With that being said, sometimes you might have to swallow your pride and become somewhat dependent. That doesn't mean that you're completely relying on someone else. You are still the wonderful, powerful being that you are. I will admit that with independence sometimes comes stubbornness. My best advice is to not let the stubbornness surpass your independence because it can affect your life negatively.

Embrace being independent, and for those who want to be independent, it's never too late to start!