Enough With the Election, What About Our Officers?

In remembrance of our fallen law enforcement officers.

37

There is no doubt that the 2016 Election was one to talk about. It had its extreme highs and lows, with passionate people on both ends of the spectrum. But enough is enough. We need to quit talking about how upset we are that Trump won. We need to quit protesting and start living again. Because there are so many more important things going on in the world. There are so many other things that need our attention. Like the number of fallen officers in 2016. The number of men and women who spent their lives trying to protect you, me, our families, and our friends. The men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice right here at home when they should be home with their families this holiday season.

In 2016, so far, 60 officers have fallen in the line of duty. 60 police officers have given the ultimate sacrifice. 60 families lost a member of their family, a father, mother, husband, wife, daughter, son, brother, sister. Yet, here I am, looking at news headlines about people calling for a ballots to be recounted in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. Here I am looking at news headlines telling us all of the people President-Elect Trump is putting in charge of different areas. Here I am looking at how Trump won't be pursuing Hillary Clinton's investigation and how President Obama is pardoning turkeys this Thanksgiving.

I sit here, in my small-town-Iowa home, wondering if some people even know that these shootings have happened. I sit here, unaware until about an hour ago, that 60 men and women had died in serving their communities. I sit here wondering if people know about the officers shot and killed in Iowa just a few weeks ago. Oh, but I'm sure they know about their favorite musicians holiday plans. About the bumper to bumper traffic in LA as people travel for Thanksgiving. I'm sure they know what time their favorite store opens for Black Friday shopping. Yet, we don't know about these horrific things going on around the nation.

I am just as at fault as the next millennial out there. I don't always know what's going on in the world. Hell, I hardly ever know the weather forecast for the day. But a lot of the reason I don't keep up to date is because rarely do I actually hear something I want to know about. While it is exciting that people are having babies and that Obama takes the time to "pardon" certain turkeys, those aren't the things I want to hear. I want to know what is really going on in the world around me, no matter how ugly it may be.

Please, stop talking about the election. Please, start talking about things that matter. Help me in remembering the 60 officers that have died in the line of duty. Help me in bringing awareness to the fact that our country is falling and people are beginning to feel unsafe. Being an officer comes with knowing you may not return home one day, but it should not be a fear coming true this often. Teach your children respect for officers. That if they don't agree with them that does not give them the right to pull a firearm and shoot them, or anyone for that matter.

Help me in remembering our fallen law enforcement officers.

In remembrance of our fallen police officers around the nation.

Sgt. Allen Brandt - Fairbanks, Alaska

Officer David Glassler - Phoenix, Arizona

Officer Darrin Reed - Show Low, Arizona

Officer Jonathan DeGuzman - San Diego, California

Sgt. Steve Owen - Los Angeles County, California

Officer Jose Gilbert Vega - Palm Springs, California

Officer Lesley Zerebny - Palm Springs, California

Sheriff's Deputy Jack Hopkins - Modoc County, California

Sgt. Rod Lucas - Fresno County, California

Sheriff's Deputy Dennis Wallace - Stanislaus County, California

Sheriff's Deputy Derek Geer - Mesa County, Colorado

Sheriff's Cpl. Nate Carrigan - Park County, Colorado

Maj. Greg Barney - Riverdale, Georgia

Officer Tim Smith - Eastman, Georgia

Sheriff's Deputy Sondron - Peach County, Georgia

Sheriff's Deputy Daryl Smallwood - Peach County, Georgia

US Marshals Deputy Commander Patrick Carothers - Long County, Georgia

Sheriff's Deputy Carl Koontz - Howard County, Indiana

Sgt. Anthony "Tony" Beminio - Des Moines, Iowa

Officer Justin Martin - Urbandale, Iowa

Detective Brad Lancaster - Kansas City, Kansas

Capt. Robert David Melton - Kansas City, Kansas

Sheriff's Deputy David F. Michel Jr. - Jefferson Parish, Louisiana

Sheriff's Deputy Brad Garafola - East Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Officer Matthew Gerald - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Cpl. Montrell Jackson - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Sheriff's Deputy Patrick Dailey - Harford County, Maryland

Sheriff's Deputy Mark Logdson - Harford County, Maryland

Officer Jacai Colson - Prince George County, Maryland

Officer Ronald Tarentino Jr. - Auburn, Massachusetts

Court Bailiff Ronald Kienzle - Berrien County, Michigan

Supervising Court Bailiff Joseph Zangaro - Berrien County, Michigan

Sgt. Kenneth Steil - Detroit, Michigan

Special Agent Lee Tartt - Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics

Officer Blake Snyder - St. Louis, Missouri

Officer Jose Chavez - Hatch, New Mexico

Officer Clint Corvinus - Alamogordo, New Mexico

Sergeant Paul Tuozzolo - New York City, New York

Officer Tim Brackeen - Shelby, North Carolina

Officer Jason Moszer - Fargo, North Dakota

Officer Thomas Cottrell - Danville, Ohio

Officer Steven Smith - Columbus, Ohio

Sgt. Jason Gooding - Seaside, Oregon

Officer Scott Bashioum - Canonsburg, Pennsylvania

Sgt. Luis A. Melendez-Maldonado - Puerto Rico

Officer Allen Lee Jacobs - Greenville, South Carolina

Special Agent De'Greaun Frazier - Jackson, Tennessee

Officer Kenny Moats - Maryville, Tennessee

Officer David Hoffer - Euless, Texas

Sgt. Cpl. Lorne Ahrens - Dallas, Texas

Officer Michael Krol - Dallas, Texas

Sgt. Michael Smith - Dallas Texas

Officer Brent Thompson - Dallas, Texas

Officer Patrick Zamarripa - Dallas, Texas

Decetive Benjamin Marconi - Dallas, Texas

Officer Douglas Barney - Salt Lake, Utah

Trooper Chad D. Dermyer - Greyhound, Virigina

Officer Ashley Guindon - Prince William County, Virigina

Deputy Sheriff Dan Glaze - Rusk County, Wisconsin