Eight Years Of Friendship

Eight Years Of Friendship

To the best friend that a girl could have.

100
Eight Years Of Friendship
Mary Linen

My dear long time friend,

From the first day we met, I had a strange feeling that we were always meant to meet. It was music that brought us together - when Ms. Boyle introduced the flute to us both. I said hi to you, yet you just looked down at the ground like my words were just nothing but air. However, I was persistent in becoming friends. I had just moved to town from another state and I tried really hard to make friends. The thing about you that I liked the most was how quiet you were, yet behind closed doors you would be the loudest person in the room. I liked that only I knew the real you. I liked that only you knew what was behind the thick wall I put up to others. You knew that behind my loud voice and giant smile, I sometimes hid tears that only you knew how to wipe away.

In only two years, our friendship grew so strong that I changed schools just for you. I cried for days and days when I found out that you were leaving. I begged my parents day in and day out to do something about it, until they finally handed me the transfer papers. The first year at the new school we were apart, yet you were still in my mind and in my heart (yeah, I know that was really cheesy). However, when we were finally in class together, it was like we were never apart. There’s another thing that I love about our bond. We can be apart for months at a time, yet when we finally come together, we go back to where we left off, and sometimes better than ever. Distance can be the one element that can destroy friendships, yet it makes ours stronger.

Like all friendships, we had our bad moments; boys coming between us, not seeing eye to eye on the same matter, deaths that made our hearts cold and the pressures of growing up. When senior year came rolling in, we both knew that soon things were going to change. It scared us, terrified our hearts and shook our minds. To think that someone who has been by your side for over eight years was soon going to be miles away was devastating. Even still, we both had a desire, a need and a thirst to keep our bond stronger than ever. Even when other friends doubted our connection and our faithfulness to each other, we turned our eyes to it. We both knew that none of them could ever understand how our friendship worked. We were perfectly fine with it. No one needs to know how strongly we care for each other, as long as we never forget it.

The woman you have become has shocked and amazed me in the best way possible. You always give me credit for being the one who broke you out of your shell, but that was all you. You had the desire and craving to be someone else, and it was you who found it within yourself. I was only there to hold your hand and be your shoulder when it was needed. Being your friend has truly changed me for the better. We challenge each other to be great. Especially when it comes to grades. You completely blew me out of the water this year, yet I was still there to help you with English work. I’m just going to say if it wasn’t for personal finance, I would have had you. I love how you would laugh whenever I uncontrollably would make a disgusting face at annoying people. I’m going to miss you hitting me when I stare at a cute guy too long. I’m going to miss that face you make when I do something stupid. I’m going to miss how your nose crinkles up when you laugh.

Even though we will be apart for most of the next four years, I want you to promise that we will always come back together. We will always keep that dream of growing old together alive. Never have I had a friend as loyal and understanding as you. Thank you for listening instead of judging, for understanding instead of accusing and for keeping me sane through high school. Remember that this is nowhere near the end. Our lives together are just starting. We’ve beat all the naysayers when they said we would never last this long. Let’s keep it strong girl!

Love,

Your sister from another mister.