8 Heart Wrenching Struggles Of Dying Your Hair

Love it or hate it, dying your hair is completely worth it.

59
Unsplash

If you have dyed your hair before then you know dying your hair can be a big ol’ pain in the butt. It is a constant struggle of money and change that women and men often put themselves through. The results are worth it, though. There is a long process that goes on between choosing colors, making sure your hair isn’t going to break and actually finding a place that will dye your hair right. If you are one of those blessed people who love their hair color and wouldn’t change it for the world, good for you! That is awesome you don’t have to go through the stages and steps of getting your hair done! I congratulate you! But if you’re anything like me and was born with the wrong hair color completely, then you’ll understand these struggles.

8. Finding the right color.

The most tedious act in the world. This involves scrolling through Pinterest for hours

on hours deciding what color is right for you. You search millions of different color combinations, because there is a huge difference in a sombre and an ombre, but you know that. Then you find a thing called balayage, which sounds like a foreign country, so you’ll study for weeks and have a million different screen shots of hair until you find the one.

7. Getting asked if it's natural.

Yes, I just woke up one morning with natural purple hair. Woah, what a miracle?! Okay at first it was a compliment, I had just become a blonde and I was extremely excited, but now ten years into dying my hair, it's so irritating. You start to feel like people are mocking your hair after awhile, am I right?

6. The fear of trying anything other than your normal color.

I would rather be tortured by spiders than sit through this fear for hours. You decide that blonde isn't for you anymore and you want to switch it up, so you'll tell your hairdresser you want something edgy and new. And you show them that picture you've had saved on your phone forever. They'll give you the "are you sure?" look, but you insist. Once they put that dye on sweetie there is no going back. I have tried every color there is from black to pink, and I was sweating bullets the entire time I was getting it done. Yeah the color looked good on that super pretty girl on Pinterest, but what if I don't look exactly the same?!

5. Your hair will fall out and break constantly.

I feel bad for my boyfriend because I literally shed more than my cat does. My hair is everywhere, which is normal for women I guess, but once you dye it your hair falls out more easily. I put my hair up in a bun, there is enough hair to make a small sweater out of.

4. The ever lingering smell.

Hair dye smells good at first because it's masked by other things. On the first day you don't mind the smell because you just sat in it for hours. You'll smell the treatment the hairdresser put on your hair after the dye, but by the second day you'll literally want to cut your hair off. It smells like straight dye. If you've ever smelt straight hair dye, you know the pain. The smell will make your eyes water it's that bad.

3. Looking like a weirdo during the in between stages.

You won't want to leave the house, and you'll feel like you want to die. Dying your hair doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get the color you want. If you have dark hair it might takes multiple times to get the lighter color tones you want. The in between stage is literally the worse, because you know you don't look good, even if others tell you that you do. It's not what you want so will you ever feel good about it? Probably not. You have to suck it up though.

2. Dying it a different shade, but no one can see a difference.

I mean come on! I was a light dirty blonde before my hair appointment. I went up three shades lighter this time! How can nobody see a difference? There is no brass tones in my hair anymore! Ugh, so frustrating.

1. Having to dye it every four to six weeks, and dropping a crazy amount of money each time.

I will go broke before I let my natural color grow back out. Dying hair is super expensive if you go to a salon and get it done. It all depends on what level stylist or whatever the person dying the hair is, but let's be honest, I am super picky on who I let touch my hair. I won't let some random person touch my beautiful master piece of hair.