Being An Educator During The Trump Era

The debate as old as time, Republicans vs. Democrats.

Except now, we have a real issue at hand. Thousands of people across the country are in absolute disgust as Donald Trump becomes our 45th President as he won the Electoral vote. People are not particularly ecstatic about this Money-loving, "my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars" man, and more importantly, minorities are being targeted all over the United States as White Supremacist groups have risen from the shadows, and are taking the idea of Trump's presidency as an opportunity to segregate America and plunge us back into the dark ages

In less than two years, I will be an educator, it has always been my dream to know that I can influence a group of kids and make them shine with ideas and freedom of expression. Since Donald Trump was elected president not even a full week ago, kids as young as five are being targeted due to their race and ethnicity in schools.

The real question I have, is why is this happening?

Why did all of a sudden, people neglect all ideas of equality and abandon all hope of peace, to raise their children in a society filled with hate?

I have done my research and have heard stories from so many people of so many backgrounds about their lives since 11/8/16. These were some of the stories I heard;

A Muslim eighth-grader says other kids, including some who were her friends, have called her a terrorist. That's not something she's heard until this year.

A Hispanic student who was born in the U.S. says he's been told to "go back to the border" and "it's not right for you to be here."

Sunday, the phrase “Hang a n****r from a tree” was painted over a sign that said “equal rights.” Police are taking action against it.

Monday, Raw Story reported an incident where “Heil Trump” was painted."

A message of unity taken from a quote from activist Shaun King was painted onto a sign. It read, “Dear Muslims, immigrants, women, disabled, LGBTQ and all people of color, we love you boldly and proudly. We will endure.” Someone spray-painted Trump 2016 over it.

How do we make it safe for our kids? How do we approach a student in our class who is attacking a young Muslim girl for her traditional dress? How do we explain to a black boy why no one will play with him at recess?

One educator at Columbia College, a women's liberal arts school had something to say in regards to the women who enter her classroom. In a letter to her students, Dr. Jade Huell made aware that her classroom would be one without hate and without judgement. She made it known that she sees what is going on in the world, and how it affects everyone. You can read the full letter here.

Pictured above, Dr. Jade Huell

"I just got off the phone with a student who was berated in class by a professor because she refused to acknowledge Trump's Presidency. I refuse to accept his presidency. It is hard to teach in this environment because while my instinct is to protect my students, I find myself needing to protect myself. Trump's rise has brought out the worst in America, the worst in humanity. I am still not prepared to confront the worst elements of our culture in my classroom. In short, I'm afraid for my students and I am just plain old afraid."

In less than two years I will be in a classroom filled with open minds and hearts the size of mountains. In less than two years I will have to face the innocence being lost to those who feel unsafe in a setting that should be the safest place they can have. In less than two years I will have to have a tough discussion with kids of color and ethnicity about how important they are to me, and to everyone else rooting for them. In less than two years, I will have their brains to mold, and to teach them life lessons that will carry them on through their 12 years of schooling.

In less than two years, I will make sure that my classroom is a hate-free, safe zone for anyone who enters it. In two years, I will explain to my kids, unbiased, about what the President's role is. In two years I will get questions about who I want to vote for in the next election. In two years I will have coworkers who do not hold the same views and values as me, but I will respect them, and choose not to discriminate. I will raise the kids that come in my classroom to do the same.

And to the parents of any future kids I have, I can promise you that your children will be safe with me. Your children, as well as myself, will not tolerate discrimination of any kind. I promise that my classroom will be a safe space for them to be free-thinkers, but also have compassion and love.

In two years, I will make a difference.