Education: The Number One Screwed Up System In America

9

Education has been nothing, but bullshit ever since middle school. I just wished there was a way to fix this with students and parents. Our education system needs a clean up.

Growing up, I felt education hindered my life immensely. I feel the education system is incredibly unorganized and useless to me. With the strict requirements that teachers are given, the limited information we are required to know isn't even necessary for most people. The most important education is the basics from elementary school, but from then on it is all more detailed and sometimes pointless.

If I was given the chance to concentrate more on what I wanted to do when I grew up, I would have never had the problem of what major I wanted to go into when I reached college. I think the biggest decision in your life is to decide your major. This solely determines your entire life. Of course, you can change your major anytime you want, but there is so much pressure into what major you decide to go into because it decides the future you will have.

There were many students that I graduated with that were afraid of college so they went right into work. There is such a push to get into college and a pressure that is so unnecessary. College is entirely too expensive and for a typical student who graduates with a Bachelor's degree to come out of college with thousands of dollars in loans is incredibly scary to me. Their life hasn't even begun and they have this immense amount of money owed.

I feel if teachers were given the opportunity to teach what they thought was necessary, education would be more beneficial. Not one time in my entire high school career was I taught how to pay bills or what a mortgage was and that is so important. I don't think I should have to know what the hell the symbol Pi means or what x equals. Students should be learning to be a citizen in society. We need to learn the basics of paying bills, buying a house, and so many other important things when you're an adult living on your own.

The pressure also coming from taking the huge, stupid, ridiculous test called the SAT is too much for students. I am not an excellent test taker, but school is solely based on grades now, not what the student learns. I feel incredibly sorry for anyone who feels they have to cheat because they feel grades is more important than learning something. I have gone through so many tests that I have no idea what I am saying most of the time, all I am doing is regurgitating information and immediately forget it afterward.

I am so glad I graduated when I did because I would hate to have to deal with the disaster known as Common Core. The way they are trying to teach children how to think differently is utter bullshit. Don't change how the kids think, change how you teach your kids and consider the different learning styles instead of using one. Every child has their own way of learning and if teachers took the time to find that out, Common Core would not be needed.

Education has gone downhill and honestly it still is. I just hope something is done about common core and a serious change is done.