The HeartBeat Bill-What About My Body My Choice?

The Texas HeartBeat Bill was introduced as Senate Bill 8 and House Bill 1515 on March 11, 2021, and was signed into law by Governor Greg Abbott on May 19, 2021. The law came into effect on September 1, 2021.

56

Texas just passed an abortion law on September 1, 2021 which means bans abortions at about six weeks from someone's last menstrual cycle. Now, anyone that has a menstrual cycle and often misses their period a week or two after there's a number of factors that could also throw someone's period off.

Stress, anxiety, and environmental factors can affect someone's menstrual cycle and if we were to react as if that was causing my period to be late, we wouldn't think much of it. However, if there was a possibility we were pregnant we have less time to react to the news and depending on whether there's a chance we choose to have it or choose to not. That should still be our decision, because it's our body.

Abortion patients themselves can't be sued under this new law, however if anyone helps or performs the abortion can be sued by anyone under this new law. Nurses and doctors all over are outraged by this bill, and the misleading name of the bill. According to, Dr. Nisha Verma, a physician who provides abortion services and a fellow at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, said the activity measured on an ultrasound in early gestation is electrical impulses, not a true heartbeat".

People are now telling us what we can't or can do with our bodies. That doesn't sit will with me, because even if I don't plan on carrying out an abortion I should still be given the choice.

What about the ones who result in a pregnancy after being raped, the minors who are sexually abused, and all the ones who simply aren't financially or emotionally ready to become parents. They should still be given the choice after six weeks to make their decision, at the end of the day it's their body and not anyone else.