Breaking Generational Curses Easier Said Then Done

As I get older and experience life through my eyes, and not the eyes of my family. I find myself farther away from their traditional values.

1474

Growing up in a Mexican-American household, I experienced life through the eyes of my family. My mother stayed at home to watch my siblings and I, while my father worked and provided for us. My mother cooked, cleaned, and cared for us and relied on my father for money. My father was a hard working man, but he was also an alcoholic. Coming home asking for a beer and his dinner as soon as he stepped through the door, throwing a fit if the house was still a mess. Its common in latin culture for the man to provide for his family while the woman cares for the children and house.

With men holding all the power, because they pay the bills they have power over their women. My father held control over my mother controlling the finances, with no job where would my mom go with three kids? It was a never ending battle of toxic masculinity and my mother trying to stand her ground. An environment I had no choice but to live in, wondering how this could ever be normal. My mother would pack her bags only to be manipulated into staying. A constant battle of wanting to leave for her own sanity or staying so we're raised with two parents.

Now, that my parents are separated and I'm no longer under their roof I can say those generational curses end with me. My children will hopefully never experience what I had too. Going to college to earn a degree, so I can rely on just me and I won't ever have to be dependent on a man for his money. This is what I choose to achieve a future that comes with ease, and my partner bringing me peace.

I still have friends that have their partner take care of all the bills, while he holds control. When I got my nose pierced my girlfriend said she would love to get one, but her husband would never allow it. It just surprises me because that could never be me, I wouldn't control my partner why would they feel the need to control me?