How Humans Impact Creatures Of The Sea

How Humans Impact Creatures Of The Sea

You are what you eat — even the creatures of the sea.

13
How Humans Impact Creatures Of The Sea

Picture it: The deep, blue sea, full of creatures beyond imagination. Today, however, you’re a creature that is man-made, that does not belong. A head full of water to make your top nice and round. Your arms flowing in the sea as it eases by. The disturbance to you is little, the water is carrying you wherever you need to go. For you, there is no worry. You are simply floating where ever you want whenever you want. You do not even care when a shadow slowly covers you and a huge mouth begins to draw you in. You think it is natural because in life, you are either the predator or the prey. It was your turn to be the prey.

All of a sudden, you are surrounded by teeth, rows and rows of never ending teeth. This seems as if it is going to be a painful, a grinding death. So, you do what you can to finish the peaceful life in the ocean that was chosen for you. The pain never comes, though. You were in luck today. You were being swallowed by a more majestic creature. One that does not chew, it just swallows. It seems as if you were mistaken for a jellyfish. A silly, but common mistake in the ocean, especially to a creature of this size. In your head, you know what you are to the massive beast, but you cannot truly tell how dangerous you are to the creature that just swallowed you or to the sea.

In the stomach of the massive beast, you have made a home. The acid does not harm you since you are not his normal choice for food. As time went on, you were joined by more like you and even other misfits of the ocean that did not truly belong. Once in a while, there were actual jellyfish, or smaller creatures that were soon able to pass. You and the other misfits of the ocean stayed and made the stomach of the beast a home. Over time, however, the home became crowded and less and less began to join. Then, none at all.

Those were the dark times for you and for your host. Nothing came in and nothing came out. That was going to be your life. You were to live all eternity in sync with the life of him. That is how it is going to be, or so you thought.

All of a sudden, light began to break through to the stomach of the host. Come to find out, the beautiful creature you shared a life with was a whale. You no longer feel the water on your arms, and you no longer live in the creature that goes through the sea. You now lay upon the ground in front of the people that created you, used you and threw you into the ocean. In front of the people who brought you to where you lay. If it were not for them, then the majestic beast would still be swimming through the ocean for years to come, but they created you. You were wrong. You were created to be a predator, and the monster that was 10 times your size was your prey. You and your creators are killers.

The way that we, as human beings, discard of our trash is atrocious. The animals in the ocean do not know what to do with what we discard, yet you are still exposing it to them. That is not only unjust and unfair, it is wrong physically and morally. The term you are what you eat is one that held true. You were a plastic bag; you were not as alive as you looked. Because the whale made you his lunch, he was just as dead as you.