Why I Have To Eat Cadbury Eggs On Easter

My own tradition in honor of my Pop-pop.

505
Instagram

Cadbury is awesome at making candy, in my opinion. The chocolate is always smooth and rich, and the best treat they offer is none other than their Cadbury Egg, what people usually see on commercials around Easter. I always thought that the inside looked disgusting, but whenever I ate it, the filling would melt in my mouth. I love these little bursts of sweetness, but I only have it on Easter. Why? Because it’s better to save something for a more appropriate time and because I was first introduced to them by my Pop-pop around Easter time when I was around three or four.

It was his special treat, too. I remember seeing him put a couple in his pocket before sitting down to relax or before going out. I wondered why they were so irresistible to him. They were just chocolate and cream inside, nothing more. You could get that combo with other candies, so why did he love these so much?

I was about three or four when I had my first Cadbury Egg. My Pop-pop gave one to me and told me to bite into it. Instead I broke the shell but sucked on the chocolate part. The filling freaked me out. He told me that it wasn’t bad, and that I’d love it. I wasn’t too sure, but I trusted him anyway. “Pop-pop wouldn’t lie to me,” I thought, “especially about candy.” When I finally ate the middle, my tastebuds were shot off in a sugar rocket. I loved it. Pop-pop just grinned with pride in himself for getting a young child to actually eat something he recommended. I took a bite of the whole egg to taste both the cream and chocolate together and melted with it even more. He asked, “Isn’t it good?” I nodded and replied with a gooey, chocolatey smile.

Since that day and after he passed, I have always eaten at least one Cadbury Egg on Easter. It has become my way of preserving a simple, small, but treasured memory of my Pop-pop. All I need for an Easter treat is a Cadbury Egg. I feel like the holiday is incomplete without it, as if there’s a bit of sweetness missing from the world, and this missing sweetness for me still continues to be him. However, I know he’s looking down on me. I know that when he sees me work, live life, and try to honor him in everything I do, he’s watching over me with a smile, and maybe that smile is stained with chocolate from a Cadbury Egg.