5 Easy, Healthy Snacks

5 Easy, Healthy Snacks

Life is busy, which makes it especially important to eat healthily to stay well and invigorated. These snacks are easy to deal with on-the-go and keep me feeling my best.

26
5 Easy, Healthy Snacks

1. Nuts

Almonds are full of "good fats," fiber, and protein, so they will satisfy hunger between meals, which helps prevent excessive and unhealthy snacking. Other nuts have similar benefits, with varying fat and sugar levels. I prefer almonds because they fill me up fastest. If you tend to crave sweets, add a few dried cranberries to the mix. I consider a palm-sized handful of nuts (and cranberries) to be a snack-size serving.

2. Fruit

I like apples—they are portable, they don't get too squished in a tote or the front of a backpack, and they’re easy to eat without being cut or peeled. Apples especially contain lots of fiber, which helps clean out your digestive tract, preventing stomach aches after meals. Green apples contain less sugar than most other apples, but any apple or fruit contains non-processed sugars which are much healthier and easier on your body than processed candies and carbs. Fruits also contain with various vitamins. Switching what kind of fruit you eat each day keeps a variety of vitamins in your diet.

3. Dark Chocolate

I crave treats every day, but I know I can't have desert with every meal. A small piece of dark chocolate is satisfying to a sweet-tooth while still being low on processed sugars. According to Authority Nutrition, dark chocolate also contains antioxidants and offers other health benefits that candy, pie, etc. do not.

4. Vegetable Sticks

I love carrots, bell-peppers, and cucumbers. They don’t necessarily need to be kept cold, and are easy to cut into sticks and throw in a bag or container. Veggies also have lots of fiber and vitamins, and less sugar than fruit. They can be tasty, especially when they’re fresh! Like fruits, varying the type of vegetables you eat will keep many different vitamins and antioxidants in your diet. I use half a bell-pepper, for instance, as one serving.

5. KIND(tm) Bars

Of all the protein or snack bars I’ve tried Kind Bars are my favorite. They taste like fruit and nuts, which is all they are, and they are fairly filling when I eat them slowly. They are low on sugar, and do not contain high-fructose corn syrup. Since they are all natural and whole ingredients, they don’t have an off-taste or hidden toxins. If I'm working out near an upcoming mealtime, but don't want to eat right before running, a kind bar will keep me from feeling hungry while exercising, but it light enough that I won't feel sick.

All of these snacks require minimal prep, so they’re easy to grab at the beginning of a busy day. They are healthy and enjoyable, and won’t make you feel fatigued or ill between meals like salty or sugary snacks do. They're easy on your body, and help maintain digestive health, vitamin intake, and protein and fat levels. Whenever I am hungry between classes or meals, I want to feel invigorated and satisfied. These snacks never fail me.