Does Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Have A Future In Politics?

It's not the first time he has expressed interest in heading to the big oval office.

71
Fifteen Minute News

Dwayne Johnson is known for a lot of things for which he has quite the repertoire. College football player, professional wrestler, businessman, philanthropist, renowned actor and producer are just a few of his talents. With all that success, there might be a new area of interest to add to the list: politics.

Recently, Johnson interviewed with GQ British Magazine for their July issue, which hit stands this past Thursday. Dishing about all sorts of topics from depression and movies, to whether or not the Oval Office is in the future anytime soon, Johnson had plenty to say.

When asked about potential political endeavors, Johnson stated:

"I'll be honest, I haven't ruled politics out. I'm not being coy when I say that, but at the moment I am not sure. I can't deny that the thought of being governor, the thought of being president, is alluring. And beyond that, it would be an opportunity to make a real impact on people's lives on a global scale. But there are a lot of other things I want to do first."

Although he is the most recent, Johnson is not the first star to envision the Oval Office.

James George Janos, otherwise known as Jesse Ventura, also has quite the resume — former professional wrestler, actor, author, naval veteran. Among these is a political career. Ventura first entered politics when he was elected mayor of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, in 1990 and eventually governor in 1998. Throughout the years, Ventura expressed presidential interests several times, specifically during the 2012 presidential election as well as the current 2016 election. However, in both cases, Ventura decided not to enter the race, recently claiming that he is afraid he might win.

Last week via his website, Ventura released a statement explaining his reasonings behind the decision. Admitting that although he would love to run against Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, he can't. Writing, "I'd love to debate them, but, just in case I would win, I don’t want to do the job. And if you don’t want to do the job, you have no business running for president. That’s how I feel."

He continues on about the outlook for the election, "I didn’t want to win because doing that job takes your freedom from you. At 64 years old, I’m late enough in life that I just didn’t feel that I wanted my freedom taken from me for the next four to eight years. It might not make sense to you, but it’s the sense that I came to. Again, I simply don’t have it in my heart to do the job. Besides, I’m too passive. This is a country based on war and, with the candidates we have in the two parties, it’ll continue to go down the path of war." He ended stating that he will give support to Governor Gary Johnson if he is to win the Libertarian vote.

Along with Johnson, rapper Kanye West relayed interest as well, particularly in 2020. But as far as actually taking some form of political office, fellow actors Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ronald Reagan can be added to the list for being elected as 38th Governor of California and 40th President of the United States, respectively.

However, this is not the first time Johnson has shared his interests in politics. Back in 2012, according to Reuters Johnson sat down with Moviefone telling the site, "Right now the best way that I can impact the world is through entertainment. One day, and that day will come, I can impact the world through politics. The great news is that I am American, therefore I can become President."

He recently entertained the idea back in March when the Independent Journal published a piece about nine reasons why Johnson should be president. Johnson shared the story along with, "Cool piece on why I should run for President. Maybe one day. Surely the White House has a spot for my pick up truck..." via Twitter.

Then, of course, is the skit he did on Saturday Night Live where he portrayed the "Rock" Obama.

With all his success, at the forefront, Johnson is also a family man.

Although there is plenty of hype, the father of two made clear that it is not the time in his life for such plans. Taking to Instagram, Johnson posted this captioned picture yesterday.

"With the election among us and me launching into a world press tour for a movie - a presidential run has been a big topic of chatter. The other big topic is "is it true you're a good kisser?" 😗 Jokes aside I'm extremely flattered at the very cool support that's been coming in at this crazy idea... and maybe one day this'll happen. Until then I have more business to build and letting my little baby girl spit up on me every time I give her a bottle of milk has become a thing of beauty.
Plus for now, I reaaaaaally enjoy driving my pick up truck around daily without a big ass Presidential motorcade."

Chalking it up to the fact that it is election season with politics is in the air, Johnson isn't too quick to jump. But as you might have wondered, many can't wait for Dwayne Johnson to "Rock the Vote."