The Ultimate Durham, NC Bucketlist

The Ultimate Durham, NC Bucketlist

Go explore the Bull City this summer!
125

To a Durhamite, from a fellow Durhamite, I've comprised a list of everything you should cross off your bucket list this summer if you're in the Bull City.

1. Pick strawberries!

One of the first things I do every summer in Durham is go to the strawberry patch. I'll be honest, I go multiple times in the summer. Embrace the southern farm life that Durham has to offer.

2. Go to a Durham Bulls game

It's pretty cool that our town has a minor league baseball team right in the heart of the city. Go spend your Friday night downtown at the ballpark and catch some fireworks after the game.

3. Go cool off in the Eno Rock Quarry

Beat the North Carolina heat and take a swim in this naturally made pool, just be careful and bring a float and friends!

4. Check out the Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings

Fresh fruits and veggies are perfect for late summer lunches and dinners. Also go support local farmers and artists!

5. Eat ice cream at the Parlour

The best ice cream in the country (I may be biased) is right in our little city. I beg you to go to the Parlour to get a nice scoop of ice cream to cool off after a hot day. You won't regret it.

and while I'm on the topic of food...

6. Drive/walk/bike/run into downtown Durham

Because I promise hidden along the narrow streets you can find some of the best food in the country (may be a little biased again) but, seriously Durham has some fantastic restaurants and bars. I'm going to list a few of my favorites, but don't limit yourself to just these, try them all. Please. And again, by doing so you are supporting our local businesses.

Restaurant/Bar must tries: Pizzeria Toro, Gonza Tacos & Tequila, Mateo, Dame's Chicken & Waffles, Rue Cler, Dos Perros, and Fullstream Brewery

Still on the food subject...

7. Eat a donut or three at Monuts

And if you're not a donut person, don't worry; they have other food options that will keep your mouth watering for more.

8. Go downtown and experience the nightlife

I wouldn't say the nightlife is huge in our small town, however, it is really up and coming and there are so many interesting places to walk around at night and awesome bars (if you're old enough) that you really should check out.

9. Walk around American Tobacco Campus

It's beautiful. Go.

Sometimes American Tobacco Campus holds concerts on summer nights, I recommend pulling out your lawn chairs and checking those out as well.

10. Walk around the Duke Gardens

There are so many places to explore in the Duke Gardens, take a picnic, a frisbee, your camera or just your walking shoes and go check out the beautiful gardens on a nice day.

11. On a rainy day go explore the Museums

Both Downtown Durham and other areas in Durham have great museums that you should definitely explore.

12. Go catch a show at Motorco

Motorco Music Hall is an awesome scene all year round, but during the summer, you can sit outside, enjoy good food and drinks, as well as listen to live music and other performances.

13. Go to the Duke Lemur Center

You don't have to travel all the way to Madagascar to see lemurs, just head a few miles down the road and there you go! The Duke Lemur Center is definitely a must. From learning about their amazing work to seeing cute primates, it's worth a visit.

14. In the mood for a Broadway show? Go to the Durham Performing Arts Center

It's a beautiful theatre that brings performances and other forms of entertainment to our town.

Durham is an awesome place to spend the summer, there is so much to do hidden within the city and it's definitely worth being a tourist in our own city from time to time.

Go explore the Bull City!