6 Reasons Why Dunkin' Is Better Than Starbucks

A New Englander's love letter to the orange and pink.

427

Living in Massachusetts has taught me that Dunkin' Donuts is much more than a coffee shop. It is a necessary pit stop for any drive no matter how long. The bright orange and pink colors balanced with brown along side the smell of fresh donuts is more than comforting; it is a way of life. There are four Dunks in my hometown so it is never difficult to get my regular iced caramel coffee. However, moving to DC presented a problem. After having to rely on iced caramel coffee from Starbucks for the year, I have come to have a better understanding of why America runs on Dunkin'.

1. Dunkin' is MUCH cheaper

A large iced coffee PLUS a bagel with cream cheese goes for under $5. That is about the price of whatever frilly, fluffy, fancy grande drink at Starbucks. You want to add a croissant or a cookie? That'll be an extra $5.

2. Dunkin' puts your cream and sugar in for you

No, this isn't the lazy person in me saying this. It is the person who is in a rush and can't spend 15 minutes trying to find the perfect mix.

3. Donuts. Munchkins.

When a coworker or peer brings these bad boys in, you know you are in for a party. Have fun resisting, even if you are on a "diet". The closest thing Starbucks has is a cake pop which is just a munchkin on a stick. (And a bad one at that.)

4. Bagels

This toasted beauty smothered in cream cheese speaks for itself. I have witnessed Starbucks workers tear out a frozen bagel from its plastic and microwave it. I am going to choose the bagel which never has failed me in my 19 years of existence.

5. Coolattas

You would be lying if growing up the Blue Raspberry Coolatta wasn't your favorite. No one could pinpoint the flavor but it made your tongue blue and that made you look cool, so it was always a win in your book.

6. Ordering at Starbucks is like trying to learn a different language

All you want is a medium but in Starbucks world it is either Tall, Grande, Venti, or Trenta. As if it wasn't frustrating enough there ALWAYS happens to be a long line behind you so you don't want to ask what is what so you guess.

So, no, I'm not necessarily saying Starbucks is a lesser breed of coffee shop. By all means, you can keep enjoying your pumpkin spice lattes. I will keep enjoying the money in my pocket, the cream in my coffee, and the great food in my stomach.