Dump Your Highschool Sweetheart

Dump Your Highschool Sweetheart

32
Dump Your Highschool Sweetheart

Dating your high school boy-toy all senior year of high school. It was perfect. You had an amazing boy to cheer for on Friday nights at your little football stadium. You had the perfect Prom night with your boyfriend and all of your closest friends. With everything being so “perfect” between you two during high school, it can be scary to separate before going to college. But in the grand scheme of life, taking the risk to meet someone new is worth it. 

Its cute to hear our grandparents talk about being high school sweethearts and meeting their soul mate at age 16. But in today’s day and age, it is important to step back and accept that we aren’t living in the same world our grandparents were when they fell in love. Is it realistic to think that with all the life we have ahead of us, we have already found “the one” back in high school? No. One of the most beautiful things of being in college, is that you still have time to figure things out. If you decide to stay in your mediocre relationship, with your old boyfriend that your not so sure about, but might as well stay with because you know each other so well, you miss out on all the crazy fun known as college dating.  

You miss being set up by your sisters with a fraternity gentleman for a Date Dash. You miss out on the jitters before your first date with that guy from Sigma Nu that is finally taking you out on a sushi date. You miss out on the failed first dates or the awkward hook ups. That, while both are equally awful, point you in the right direction of finding the one meant for you. 

College is about experiencing life, every aspect it of it. Dating is a wild roller coaster of emotions, some good and some bad. At the end of the day, dating in college is about learning about yourself and the kind of man you want to eventually end up with. 

We are young, crazy college kids. The time to find someone and settle down, is far in the future for us. Take a leap of faith and end it with your old, sub-par high school boyfriend. The guy who’s idea of a romantic date night is having you sit with him on his old couch while he plays Call of Duty all night. Be brave enough to meet someone else, someone who will treat you right. Be brave enough to experience the world of dating in college. Go ahead, take a risk and ask that cute guy in Chemistry out for a study date. Because who knows? You might just meet your college sweetheart.