10 Albus Dumbledore Quotes We All Need At Some Point

Accio good vibes.

65
Warner Bros. Pictures

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, former Headmaster of Hogwarts (among many, many other things) is credited with some of the best quotes found in the entire Harry Potter series. His insightful, powerful quotes are perfect for a slew of moments. Here are 10 things straight from the headmaster's mouth we all need at one point or another in our lives.

1. "It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities"

Chamber of Secrets.

When you inevitably hit the point in your semester when you feel like you can't do anything right, remember Dumbledore's powerful reminder that we are more than what we think we can accomplish. This also applies to tough losses, setbacks, and the daily strain of life.

2. "But you know, happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light"

Prisoner of Azkaban

This is arguably one of the most powerful quotes from the entire Potter series. It can stand as a reminder that you ultimately control your happiness, and that help and guidance are always available if you can reach out for them.

3. "It matters not what someone was born, but what they grow to be"

Goblet of Fire

Let's face it: we all feel as though we can't escape the past at some point. When that happens, let Dumbledore tell you the past doesn't control the future.

4. "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Deathly Hallows

A good comeback (whether you say it out loud or not) to use when people try to minimize your struggles and pain. They might think it's just in your head, but Dumbledore understands.

5. "It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live"

Sorcerer's Stone

Nostalgia and day dreams can be fun, but we all need a reminder to get our heads out of the clouds every once in a while.

6. "Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure"

Half-Blood Prince

For all the times you can take a chance but are hesitant to take the plunge.

7. "Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it"

Goblet of Fire

Though ignoring or not dealing with pain can seem the easy route, remember it will just end up hurting you in the long run. Handle the suffering now, not later.

8. "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided"

Goblet of Fire

Politics, group projects, communities; you name it, people will try to divide, polarize, and ruin things.

9. "Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery"

Goblet of Fire

We could all stand to be more compassionate to those in our community who need understanding more than anything else. Strive to understand and accept people both other people and yourself and help everyone recover from sorrow and pain.

10. "One can never have enough socks"

Sorcerer's Stone

This one is just plain truth. Check your sock drawer, everyone.