I Dressed Like My Zodiac Sign For A Week

Do the stars influence your style?

I was recently inspired by a video posted by Safia Nygard on putting together outfits based on your zodiac signs.

While, yes, I understand that some people don't too much stock in the zodiac, birth charts and numerology, it's still fun to think about. You have your sun sign– that's the sign that you usually identify with. When you're flipping through Cosmo and get to the zodiac predictions, what sign do you stop at? I was born in late February which makes me a Pisces. But there's also the rising sign and that's the sign that rules over your sense of style and your rising sign is the sign that was rising when you were born (kind of a duh thing). My birth chart is below.

My rising sign turned out to be Leo.

To make things fair, I decided I would style myself as a Pisces one day and a Leo the next and then rate how comfortable I felt in each outfit.

According to Stitch Fix, a Pisces can be defined as "A free spirit at heart, you like adding a whimsical flair to your wardrobe." They say that my style is "go-with-the-flow," full of gem-tones and full of the latest silhouettes.

I can get behind this style chart. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a jacket similar to the one they show.

In the same blog post were some Leo traits. A Leo is unafraid to try new things but they won't be the first ones to adopt the latest trends. They also trust their own gut when getting dressed.

Day 1: I used the Pisces reference photo from Stitch Fix as my guide for day 1 and came up with this:

So not exactly colorful but I'm using some of my favorite pieces. The sleeves on the sweater are bell sleeves which I personally think are whimsical. The necklace is a fish (for the fish sign, duh) and the shoes are a shiny gold. I think I nailed it but it is a little on the neutral side.

Score: 3/5

I docked a few points for the heels. I wear heels almost every day but slippers will always be more comfortable. Overall, though, I really felt like myself in this and no one said I looked out of the ordinary.

Day 2: Today was a Leo day and, to keep it fair, I used the Leo reference photo from Stitch Fix today. I came up with this:

The jacket has ruffles on the cuffs which is a trend I've seen all over the stores. Of course jeans never go out of style and a dark wash is always appropriate. I tried to incorporate the jewel tones with the blouse but it still turned out a bit dark. My statement piece is a big chunky necklace I've had for forever it feels like.

Score: 4/5

The pants were tight. That's all. And not tight in the waist, just tight in general because of their fit. If I could have worn leggings and gotten away with it, I 100 percent would have.

Day 3: It was time to find a new reference for day 3. I checked out what PopSugar had to say. According to them, a Pisces looks bohemian with soft, flowing pieces. Following what they had to say, this is what I came up with:

I picked a blue flowing dress made of a chiffon-like material. I had to pair this with tights to brave the 20-degree weather but I enjoyed wearing this a lot.

Score: 5/5

This is only my second time wearing this dress and I don't know why. It's very flattering and looks awesome under my wool jacket.

Day 4: Still following the PopSugar blog, it was time to go back to Leo. Their thoughts on Leo's is that they're exuberant, cheerful and up for a challenge. Yeah, okay. Their guide said to go for loud dresses and statement jewelry. Here's what I came up with:

I have to say, not my favorite overall. I had a hard time deciding what shoes to wear with this dress. I wound up wearing tights with my wedges but it didn't look quite right. Of course, this is a fall dress but it's actually the only loud printed dress I own so options were limited.

Score: 3/5

I like the dress but I don't know, I think this is a fall piece for sure. I felt out of place in this.

Day 5: Back to being a Pisces today. This time I was drawing inspiration from The LaLa. According to them, Pisces like clothes that are romantic, soft and feminine. That seems fairly in-line with what PopSugar had previously said and Stitch Fix. However, The LaLa suggested a subtle floral silk maxi dress. I'm sorry, I like being as strict in following the guidelines set forth but it's too cold for a silk maxi dress. It's too cold for a maxi dress in general. So I had to compromise. Here's what I came up with:

We've got the softness with the seafoam green blouse and a white cardigan trimmed with lace. They're also very subtle colors and the blouse had a subtle zip accent so I didn't feel the need to wear a necklace.

Score: 5/5

I usually wear a black sweater, flannels, or sweatshirts on the weekends so this was a weird but welcome change. Also, these shoes are my favorite; I even bought them in a bright purple color.

Day 6: This is the last day I was doing my experiment. I was hopeful The LaLa's suggestion for Leo's was a little more practical for winter than the Pisces was. Described as cheerful and sweet, just like PopSugar, The LaLa suggests playing with the bandana/neck tie trend. A neck tie does not make an outfit so I had to see what I could do with "cheerful" and "sweet". Here's what I wound up doing:

This is nowhere near cheerful. I have a headband/scarf from Lush with roses on it and a red long sleeve blouse with bell sleeves that would have worked but I ran into two issues. One, I need to do laundry. It's the end of the week, I've been busy, the top I originally wanted was dirty. Two, I can't find my headband/scarf. Last I saw it was in November when I was putting a mud mask on my face. But this green paisley scarf is fun and a personal favorite!

Score: 5/5

I. love. black. clothes. They're my lifeblood. I think they're so classic looking and having all black clothes make laundry super easy. Technically this didn't follow the style guidelines but I felt like myself in it. You win some, you lose some.

What did I learn?

I'm both a Pisces and a Leo. I don't think I favor one over the other. I was equally attracted to the reference photos I found. Some I thought were ugly (looking at you, Aquarius) but I didn't have any complaints about my signs. I also didn't need to buy anything for this experiment (though I should have done my laundry). Everything I needed was in my closet. Several of the other signs I wouldn't have been able to complete without purchasing new clothes.

I think the real takeaway for me was seeing my closet in a new light. I think we all get in a rut where we put together the same few pieces in the same way and it can get stale. I had to think outside of the box a little bit to make these outfits work.