How To Dress When You're Neither A Teenager Nor A Real Adult

I'm In That Weird Stage Between My Teenage Years And Adulthood, And I Have No Idea How To Dress My Age

From ripped up jean shorts to pant suits and heels

99
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1479936343636-73cdc5aae0c3?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1400&q=80

After this summer I will be entering my last year of college. If that wasn't hard enough to think about, I've come to a weird realization—I don't really know how to dress. I mean I've been told that I have a decent style and I have a closet full of clothes I could wear. As I transition from student to the working world I've found it wondering just what does a 21-year-old dress like? Should I steer away from certain clothing pieces and accessories? Should I always dress to impress? And at what point does it become inappropriate to strut around in baggy t-shirts and running shorts?

I never had a problem dressing myself when I was younger, mostly because I went to a private school where uniforms were required. I got used to navy polos, beige 'skorts' and Sperry Top-Siders every day. When it was time to head off to college I had to get used to picking out outfits and keeping up with fashion trends. Being in a sorority has definitely helped me with my sense of style and I'm always willing to hit up the mall to do some weekend shopping. At the end of the day though, college doesn't require a very sophisticated style - I mean a pair of Nike shorts and an oversized always seem to do.

Of course, there's more than that to my college wardrobe. I have a variety of clothes in my closet from crop tops, to formal dresses, to business casual but I can't help but feel uncomfortable in them from time to time. See the problem isn't the clothes themselves or my body confidence but rather the 'age' I've attached to them. When I wear my tighter cropped t-shirts and a pair of jean shorts I always feel like a high schooler trying way too hard. When I throw on a button up shirt, slacks and a pair of heels, I feel like a little kid playing dress up in her parents' clothes.

Maybe the problem isn't really dressing my age but worried what my change of style will mean about my life. If I start taking on a more 'serious' look does that mean that I am leaving behind my time as a kid? Eventually, we'll all have to tuck the oversized Comfort Color tees and yoga pants towards the back of the dresser. Right now I'm gonna dress however comfy or 'childish' as I want. I'm going to appreciate my Birkenstock-tanned feet and enjoy my athletic shorts. I know that I can't dress like this forever, but until the time comes, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.