Dress Your Best

Dress Your Best

Fashion, makeup, and first impressions.

25
Dress Your Best
The Signal Express

Writing about fashion, in general, can be tricky because people tend to have their own personal styles. However, as college students, we're preparing to enter the "real world" in just a few years, and dressing in a flattering and professional way will become very important. From helping you score that dream job, to having a successful first date, making smart fashion decisions are small, but important steps in getting ahead.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that clothes and makeup are the end-all. A good personality and loving heart are even more important; however, there are so many benefits that come with dressing and applying makeup in a way that brings out the best you, including making a good first impression and raising your self-esteem. Hopefully, some of these tips can help you look and feel your best.

Let's start off with makeup. Depending on what and how you apply certain products, it can look absolutely amazing, or absolutely disastrous. I think most women can say that at some point they used (and abused) blue eye makeup. I'll be honest and state that even I have worn it before. Let's admit it, ladies; blue eye products are never flattering on anyone. It washes out your face, defeating the purpose of makeup, which is to accentuate your best features. In general, I would say that it's best to wear natural-colored eye makeup.

Keeping that in mind, it's important to find a palette of colors that looks good on you. What looks great on one person might not be the best for you. If you aren't sure which color palette is right for your skin tone and eye color, stop by one of the makeup counters at the mall, and they can help you find the right colors and teach you tricks on applying your makeup.

Finally, don't be afraid to spend a little extra money on makeup. I find that the better the quality of the makeup I buy, the less I need, and the longer it lasts. In the end, I spend far less on products from the Lancome counter than I do when I buy the cheaper stuff from the drug store, because I tend to run out so quickly. Most importantly, remember that makeup is only supposed to accentuate your beauty, so less is always more.

Dressing well is also very key to making a positive first impression and strengthening your self esteem. With the right outfit, you'll look and feel wonderful. I know that one of the main focuses for many girls, especially at a conservative school like Hillsdale, is to dress with modesty. I also know that it is often difficult to find clothes that are both modest and trendy. With that being said, it's not impossible. Most stores have clothes that allow both, and you can find some really beautiful, professional, and flattering dresses, tops, and skirts at places like Banana Republic, Black House White Market, Top Shop, and more.

Yes, if you're trying to dress modestly, you'll probably have to search a little harder for clothes at some stores, but don't forget that these places are also great for accessorizing and finding accent pieces, like a cool jacket or a top that might go well with a cute skirt.

If you are like me, and looking for less expensive items, check out places like Forever 21, Winsor, the Von Maur teen section, and Nordstrom Rack. These stores have many trendy and reasonably priced options. However, don't hesitate to occasionally spoil yourself if you fall in love with something from a pricier store. In all likelihood, the piece will be great quality and not only last forever, but look good for a long time.

Just like makeup, it's very important to find clothes that are flattering on you. Just because the item looks good on the hanger, doesn't always mean it's always going to look good on the person. I have tried on many clothes where at first sight I was really impressed, only to be disappointed when putting on the outfit.

Also, make sure that you're wearing the right colors for your skin tone. A great way to do this is by holding the item next to your eyes and seeing if the color washes you out. If it does, and you like the item, see if you can find it in another color, or piece that's similar. (Hillsdale pro tip: our very own, very lovely, Dr. Baron is pretty much an expert when it comes to helping people find their colors.)

As for body type, it's key find something that looks nice on you and gives your best features the most attention, while not overwhelming or underwhelming certain aspects. For example, if you are like me, and petite on top, you want to avoid clothes that swallow you.

Everyone's body is unique, which is great, and we should dress in ways that accentuate our unique beauty. Ladies, each and everyone of you is gorgeous and special inside and out; don't be afraid to show that to the world!