Dress With A Purpose

Dress With A Purpose

Fearless & Worthy #Dressember

14
Dress With A Purpose
Becca Catoe

As a little girl, I didn't dream that I would help fight human trafficking or that it would become one of my passions. It wasn't something that I just woke up with one day. It honestly wasn't something I was really even aware of until my freshman year of college when I gave a speech on it in my oral communications class.

I was appalled when I learned of the numbers and statistics and horrors of human trafficking, but what really broke my heart wasn't the vast numbers, like the fact that there are over 28 million people enslaved worldwide. That there are more people enslaved than at any other time in human history or the fact that the average age of a girl being sex trafficked is only 12 years old. All of those things made me realize that it was an issue that needed to be stopped but what broke my heart was seeing the actual faces, the individual people. Putting real names and stories to the statistics.

Seeing the utter hopelessness in the eyes of women who have been enslaved for years who don't feel like they have any worth anymore. The little girls who should be laughing and twirling around in their pretty dresses, but instead their faces are full of fear and they're timid and scared instead of happy and carefree. They smile at me with their faces but their eyes tell a different story. One of pain and fear, brokenness and hopelessness. They've lost their joy and I see the utter despair in their countenance.
Once you're eyes have seen and your heart has been broken there is no choice but to use your voice to speak up for those who have none.

The issue is huge, complex and pervasive. It's effects spread from our backyards in Columbus to the streets of India. With human trafficking being such a massive problem it can seem overwhelming and even a daunting task to try and fight to end it. But we can take steps and do what we can to raise our voice for the voiceless and bring awareness to the issue because together we can accomplish much more than we can alone. As Desmund Tutu says

"Do a little bit of good where you are. It is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."

So here's a small step you can take come participate in Dressember with me and my friends! It's simple- join our team, spread the word, make a donation and wear a dress every day for the month of December. Where we will advocate and raise money for the issue.

if you're a guy you can still participate-- you can help us spread the word, donate to a female friends' campaigns, or you can even commit to wearing a bow tie for the month and create your own campaign page, or hold a sign that says "Real men don't buy girls" and post it to your social media, tagging #Dressember.

In just 3 years Dressember has raised 1.5 million to help end human trafficking. Let's join in raising an even bigger voice this year! We're in it to end it! We believe in FEARLESSLY advocating because all people are WORTHY of dignity.

Follow the link below to donate or join our team: Fearless & Worthy https://support.dressemberfoundation.org/team/9815...

#Dressember