Conversations We Dread With Our Families Every Holiday

7 Conversations We All Dread Having With Our Families Every Holiday Season

Topics that may have you asking, "Is it just me or is it hot in here?"

12
PxHere

The holidays are upon us and with them comes delicious food, breaks from school, and of course, those lovely dinner conversations about how your life is going. We've all experienced it before: the distant relatives you never see that ask you the most difficult and/or annoying questions about every aspect of your life. It can sometimes feel like a grilling session where all your laundry, dirty or clean, is on public display. Get ready for those awkward conversations across the dinner table. Here are 7 conversation topics that may have you asking, "Is it just me or is it hot in here?"

Your relationship status

Are you seeing anyone? Have someone special in your life? What happened to so-and-so?

The invasive questions that have every member of your family analyzing your love life and making you uncomfortable.

Your School Life

What're you doing in school? What's your major? Are you getting all A's?

Sorry to break it to you but college is stressful and hard; A's may not always happen.

Your Career Path

What do you wanna do with your major? What are your plans in life?

I'm gonna be honest with you, I still don't know!

Your Job

That's if you have one of course.

Your Behavior and Social Life

Are you behaving yourself at college? Making smart decisions, right?

*Cue silent nod*

Religion

If you grew up being raised in a specific religion, you'll probably be asked if you're still going to services or practicing, which can be difficult if you aren't.

Politics

Similar to religion, politics can be a very uncomfortable thing to talk about for some families. You may have differing views on politics than your parents, grandparents, or your whole family for that matter. That being said, it may not be easy to talk about if the topic of politics enters the dinner conversation.

No matter how much some of these topics may make me uncomfortable to talk about, I am always grateful to spend the holidays with my family. So, enjoy your time away from school work and have fun with your family and friends!