How to Live with Intention Rather Than Go with the Flow
Wellbeing

Dr. Michael Hart in London, Ontario Describes How to Live with Intention Rather Than Go with the Flow

When you live with intent, you are a doer. You make things happen instead of waiting for life to surprise you and work toward your aims to create the lifestyle you want.

5613

Few people live with intention. Some set goals occasionally. They might go on a diet or aim to give up smoking for instance. The rest of the time they meander through life and are at the mercy of its tides. When you live with intent, you are a doer. You make things happen instead of waiting for life to surprise you and work toward your aims to create the lifestyle you want.

Intentional living is important because it helps you lead a full existence in line with your objectives and values. It's easy to sit back and let life take the reins. When you do, though, you might reach the end of your life and find you haven't done what you longed to do.

Dr. Michael Hart in London, Ontario takes a holistic approach to healthcare and has helped hundreds of patients find relief from ailments where traditional treatments fell flat. "Things are never just going to fall into place, that's a recipe for disaster. If you do that, other people are going to decide what you want, and they'll probably take advantage of you. You need be self-aware and live with intention. You need to create the life that you deserve, it's not going to be created for you," stated Dr. Hart.

Here's how to bring more intention and focus to the fore.

Know what you want

You must first know what you want before you live with intention. Consider the life you wish to lead in ten years. What do you hope to have learned by then? Can you picture your future self? How is the future you different to the present you?

Dr. Hart affirmed, "You have to explore to know what you want. You have to try different things. Trying new things and discovering that you don't like them is part of the process, it's not a setback. Sometimes knowing what you don't want can also be helpful. You might be spending too much doing things that you don't even enjoy."

Once you understand what you desire, you can build steps to your goals. If you imagine you'll have a huge social circle in ten years, for instance, consider the steps it takes to gain more friends and move in the right direction. Likewise, if you imagine you have greater success in your career, ask yourself what it will take to develop your skills and reach your aim.

Mindfulness

Creating intentions might not be hard. Sticking to them will be tricky, though, unless you are mindful. When you've repeated actions that help you reach your targets often, they will become second nature to you. Until that time, however, you must be mindful of them.

You might aim to be fit and healthy, for instance, but forget to exercise daily. Or you may eat unhealthy foods because the importance of not doing so hasn't taken root in your mind. The way around the problem is to engage in chosen activities at similar times of the day or evening. The clock is then your cue to inch toward your goals.

It's essential to also mindful of your emotional state. "Sit with your emotions. Emotions are not good or bad, they are neutral. Don't get depressed about being depressed or angry about being angry. Humans have 7 basic emotions, and we need to be able to sit with all of them," stated Dr. Hart.

Applying mindfulness to life

Some objectives require constant mindfulness. The intention to be a good listener, for instance, requires an almost continual focus. Then again, maybe your ultimate aim is to live every moment of your life intentionally. In which case, you need to bear your objectives in mind all the time.

Enhanced self-awareness and awareness of your surroundings brings clarity and will help you concentrate. This can be achieved if you train your mind to observe what happens rather than let it wander. Practicing mindful meditation, and following your breath, can boost a sense of calm attentiveness and help you stay on track.

Ultimately, as Dr. Michael Hart stated, "Action trumps everything. Without action, all the reading that you do is a waste."

There might be times when it's best to go with the flow. Doing so may even be exciting as you never know your journey's end. Most of the time, however, you'll benefit from adopting an intentional lifestyle and working toward a destination you choose.

About Dr. Michael Hart:

Dr. Michael Hart in London, Ontario is the Founder, Medical Director, and Head Physician of Readytogo Clinic. Throughout his career, he has helped countless patients gain control of their health through non-traditional medical treatments. His passion for staying up to date on the latest in medicine has positioned him as one of Canada's leaders in alternative healthcare.