Double Standards

Double Standards

Is the situation any different depending on the sex of the individual?

34
Double Standards

A double standard, by definition, is a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups according to the Webster dictionary. One thing that has always drove me crazy was the double standards between girls and guys. There are multiple situations I have witnessed where I realized that if the person was the opposite sex, the entire atmosphere surrounding the situation would change. Things that people criticize women for wouldn’t be given a second thought if a man had committed the same act and vice versa.

An example of a double standard between men and women can be clearly shown through their sex life. The amount of times I have heard a girl be called a “whore” or a “slut” simply because she has had sex with multiple guys is endless. What you choose to do with your own body is your business and no one else's. People view women who have multiple sexual partners in a negative light. However with men, the view takes a complete one eighty. Guys are often praised for the amount of women they have slept with. It is rare that a guy is scolded by his peers for having more than one sexual partner in fact, sometimes it is even encouraged. People view men who have multiple sexual partners in a more neutral light. They are not thought of in a poor manner by most.

In regards to what is and isn’t acceptable to say, women are more harshly judged than men as well. When watching an interview between a radio host and a male singer, I began to scroll through the comments. The singer had cursed a few times, but it didn’t seem to bother the viewers. Many girls commented about how it was “so hot” when he cursed and that they were “so turned on” by his vulgar language. When the interviewee was a female singer, the tables turned. Comments poured in about how it wasn’t lady like for a woman to curse. Some people said that she would “never get a guy with that type of language,” as if women dictate what they say based on whether or not a guy will approve. The female singer was even labelled as classless by a few. The stigma that it is okay and even attractive for men to use foul language, but suddenly revolting once said by a woman is absurd.

Double standards don’t always rule in favor of the male sex though. Think about all the instances you’ve seen a girl smack a guy on television or real life. More often than not, it’s used as comedic relief or an act of empowerment for the girl. I mean the guy was being a dick, so he deserved it right? Wrong. Now think about all the times you’ve witnessed a guy lay a hand on a girl. It is never seen as funny or ok. Violence against another, no matter the sex, should NEVER be viewed as comedic. Domestic violence is a serious issue, but people tend to treat it as less of an issue when it’s the woman laying a hand on the man. If a man shouldn’t do it to a woman, a woman shouldn’t do it to a man. Abusing anyone is not okay.

No matter the decisions people make in life, sex should never determine how an individual is viewed by society for said decision. Sex isn’t the deciding factor in how we treat people. Judge them based off their values and actions, not by their body parts.