Double Standards: It's A Trap, Part II

Double Standards: It's A Trap, Part II

When will we see equality?

12
Double Standards: It's A Trap, Part II
Post From The Path

Previously I’ve written about double standards and how I wish they didn’t exist. I thought, why not write a part two about more topics rather than on slut shaming? I’m always going to fight for equality. I’m always going to want the double-edged sword to be gone. I don’t want to live in a society where it’s OK for one gender to be able to do one thing, but if the other gender wants to do it everyone throws a fit. Like in my last article, why is it OK for guys to gloat about how many girls they've slept with, but God forbid a girl does it? If she does, she’s deemed a slut, whore, easy etc. whereas a guy is praised and he’s “the man”. It’s 2016 people, not 1816, lighten up a bit why don't you?

Let’s start with the theory on "the bad driver." Why are women pegged as bad drivers? I, for one, have never been pulled over (knock on wood) or been in an accident where it was my fault. Funny thing is, when I was hit it was by a male driver. Also, one of my ex-boyfriends has the worst driving record. Had so many speeding tickets that his license was going to be suspended. He was always doing things like speeding in the snow/icy roads and low and behold, we slid and lost traction and hit a snowbank causing minor body damage to the car, but my point is anyone can be a bad driver, not just one specific gender.

Moving on to "abuse." This one is definitely a touchy subject, but abuse doesn’t always mean physical. I’ve been emotionally abused by a significant other. We’re told that words shouldn’t hurt us, but when someone we love and care about tells you things like, “you’re such an idiot!” Or when try to tell you what you can and can’t do. I don’t need to ask you permission to go and hang out with my friends. I also don’t need to check in with you -- didn’t realize you needed a play by play of my day? I’ve also witnessed relationships where the female is just as bad doing these things. I know some guy friends of mine who have been in physical abuse relationships, where their girlfriend hit them or threatened them or threw objects at them. Anyone can be the abuser and anyone can be abused. It’s not always the male that's the aggressive or controlling one, it goes both ways.

What is it about dating older people that is so wrong? If a guy dates an older women, it means he’s into “Cougars” and that older woman is considered a cougar or cradle robber. But if a younger girl dates an older man, she’s a gold digger. She’s only interested in him because he might have money, or assets, or he buys her everything. Why do we label everything? Also notice how the males aren’t the ones with a nickname in this scenario?

One double standard that really grinds my gears is that single fathers are “hard workers”, yet single mothers are “defective.” My mom was a single mother for some time after my dad passed away, and even before that she worked the most to support her family. My mom is my idol for many reasons and one of them is being strong and determined. My mother is a hard worker. Any single parent is. Not just one over the other.

I could probably go on, but I’ll just make a part three. I hope these points can open up someone's eyes and maybe even change their perspective on how they look at double standards. I know I’m not the only person getting sick of double standards.