Dos And Don'ts Of Packing For Your Freshman Year Of College

Learn from my mistakes and don't pack every piece of clothing you have every owned.

93
thecollegehelper.com

I was buying things for my dorm room before I had even graduated from high school. Moving out and onto a college campus was a dream of mine from a young age. If you were anything like me a year ago, you already have half your room packed and your dorm decor picked out down to the last detail (even though school doesn’t start for another month). Before you pack up the car and haul all of those boxes to campus, unpack a few things while you still have time. I can almost guarantee your dorm room is much smaller than you are expecting.

Clothes

While I was surprised by how much of my wardrobe I was able to cram into my half of the closet and small chest of drawers, I did not wear half of what I brought. Think about what you regularly wear. That cute top you bought sophomore year that you think you should reintroduce into your wardrobe? Chances are you will continue to not wear it. Pack some wardrobe staples that can be used for multiple outfits. Have four pairs of dark wash jeans? Pick the pair that fit best (two if that is a regular item for you) and keep the rest at home. You don’t need to become an outfit repeater, but a creative stylist that knows how to mix and match while keeping it fresh!

Also, take into account the inevitable shopping that will happen that school year and allow room for new clothes.

Shoes

A must have for shoes that is often overlooked is a pair of versatile comfortable black heels for parties, internship interviews and presentations. No one will notice they are the same pair the whole school year. Also bring along one pair of gym appropriate shoes and two pairs of sneakers (ex: vans or converse). One pair of flip-flops for the beach or shower, if you are in a communal shower, is important with two pairs of cute sandals if you are staying in a warm area. I packed three pairs of boots but only ended up needing one for those cute fall outfits. If you are studying in a cold part of the country invest in a good pair of snow boots that are a neutral color to go with as many outfits as possible.

Jackets

I packed enough jackets to keep my entire hall and friends warm for winter. The rule of versatility comes into play here as well. My leather jacket, jean jacket and light-weight green cargo pocket jacket were worn for most outfits and went with almost everything I had. A comfy big jacket to lounge in and reminds you of home is just as important. Take into account the weather of your new college town and get a jacket that works for snow or rain if needed.

Decor

Tumblr and Pinterest give us unrealistic goals of what our rooms should look like. Half of the pictures are unachievable with the space and rules given. Does it need a nail? If yes, then leave it at home! Most dorms do not allow nails in the walls and while command hooks are a blessing (buy at least 20 these things are amazing and are the magic word: versatile), they can only hold so much weight. You don’t want to be woken up at 2 a.m. because your chalkboard fell off the wall which made you think their was an earthquake/ murderer coming (yes, this happened).

Photos are a must to feel at home. Include some of your family, pets and friends from high school. Leave room for your new friends as well! Invest in a polaroid so you can capture your favorite memories and have the printed and ready to hang!

While Target may have the cutest dorm decor that calls your name, your room may end up looking like every other room. Do you want to have the same tapestry as three other girls in your hall? Use your free summer days to DIY. You will feel accomplished and proud every time you get a compliment on your crafts or when someone asks where you got your masterpiece. If you aren’t crafty look for discounts at cheaper Target alternatives like Ross or T.J. Maxx for dorm necessities, or look online for college graduates trying to sell their old dorm things for cheap.

Storage

Under your bed is a magical place full of wonders and so much space. Raising your bed opens up a world of possibilities! I bought drawers from Target to keep additional clothes, games and miscellaneous junk that saved me! I also stored my instruments under my bed while my roommate had more snacks than our kitchen under hers. Under the bed is also a great place to store a fold up chair/ottoman for visitors to enjoy. Thin velvet hangers save room in your closet as well. Utilize the back of doors and small shelves or a rack for the bottom of your closet for extra space.

*My fabulous Target drawers

Remember that while this a temporary space, it is your new home. Whatever your space looks like, feel comfortable and happy there. Freshman year is an amazing time filled with new friends, memories and experiences that will fly by before you know it.