The Do's and Don'ts of Approaching a Celebrity

425

Many students attend UCLA with the hopes of spotting a celebrity. Westwood is nestled right in the middle of Brentwood, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills; the richest areas of Los Angeles and home to many actors and celebrities. It is not unlikely that one of them will stop by Westwood, where multiple UCLA students can catch a glimpse of them. It is important, however, to note of what you should and should not do when asking a celebrity for a photo or an autograph. After all, they're real people too.

1. DO address them by Mr. or Ms.

Instead of saying “Excuse me, Brad Pitt? May I have your autograph?" you should say, “Excuse me, Mr. Pitt? May I have your autograph?" Doing so will show them that you are serious about their work and respect them as an actor/actress. Celebrities may be real people too, but you don't actually know them other than the characters they play onscreen. So don't be presumptuous and call him “Brad." You're not his buddy. And don't call him “Brad Pitt," because who calls a regular person by his first and last name?

2. DON'T approach them at an awkward time.

Having said that celebrities are real people too, you are bound to catch one as they are participating in mundane human activities. Take the example of the bathroom at a restaurant. After you've finished your business and are washing your hands, you see Jessica Alba in the mirror, walking out of the stall behind you. “Excuse me, Ms. Alba. Would you mind taking a selfie with me?" She'll probably just ignore you because she's too embarrassed by having just taken a poop. Even though celebrities poop just like us, they probably don't want to take a selfie with a stranger right after doing so.

3. DO act cool.

It's easy to lose your cool when you spot your favorite celebrity. But, as I've stated before, celebrities are real people too. Don't stand there giving them a million compliments; it will only make them feel uncomfortable. “Mr. DiCaprio, you were absolutely phenomenal in The Wolf of Wall Street. You are the greatest actor of our generation. I am simply astonished that you haven't received an Oscar yet. Can I have your babies?" A simple: “I loved you in The Wolf of Wall Street" would suffice. Also, don't ask if you can have their babies.

4. DON'T ask them about their personal lives.

“So, Mr. Clooney. How are things going with Amal? I figured you two would be divorced already." As awesome as it would be to have first-hand knowledge on the life of your favorite celebrity, it is highly unlikely that they will tell you anything. It will only make them irritated. Leave that kind of questioning to the paparazzi, unless you want your favorite celeb to punch you in the face. On second thought, that might actually be pretty awesome…

5. DO judge their facial expressions.

This one is extremely important, because if you are able to discern what the celebrity is thinking or feeling, you have a better idea of whether its appropriate to talk to them or not. “Oh look! That's Kristen Stewart here at the Coffee Bean! I wonder if I should… nope. She has a resting bitch face. Better not risk it."

Note: These are only loose guidelines. If you really want to go up to a celebrity and take that chance, go for it. Just keep in mind that if they reject you or act rude, your preconceived notion of them as a godly human being may be forever changed.