Do's And Don'ts Of College

Do's And Don'ts Of College

What happens in college stays in college

35
Do's And Don'ts Of College
Meg Kakarla

Right now, I'm going to be starting my second semester as a sophomore at SUNY Geneseo. Though I have only completed three semesters, which is equivalent to about 13 months, I learned so much not only about other people, but also about myself and what I'm capable of. I still have so much to learn and every semester there's a new adversity, but being in college thus far, I've learned a thing or two. I wanted to share my experiences, so you don't make the same mistakes that I did, or at least you can take precaution, and get a sneak peak of the next best four years of your life.

1) Starbucks

My campus has a Starbucks where we can use our meal plan without spending additional money, unless you're living off campus or don't have any meal plan. Just because they come out with new drinks each season doesn't mean you should spend $70 of meal plan money on them in a week, because chances are you will run out of money when it comes to buying real food.

2) GPA matters

It's easy to get off track starting your first semester. I mean, so much independence. It's great to explore new boundaries and make friends, but once your GPA starts to struggle it gets harder to bring it back up. This semester I went out a little too much, and here I am slightly regretting that decision.

3) The suite life is the best life

I got to live in a suite starting college till now and I also had the privilege of choosing my suite mates. I guarantee you that was one of the best decisions I have ever made, not only did we all get along, but we are rooming together this year as well. It's nice to share and experience things for the first time with the same people. If you have the opportunity to live in a suite I would definitely recommend it.

4) Communicate

I know its a great feeling living away from home and not having your parents nagging you every five minutes. It's easy to blow them off, but for gods sake make time for them even if it is just calling them for 5 minutes it will make them immensely happy. You have to remember that you aren't the only one starting a new chapter in your life they're as well.

5) Have fun

Yes, you're here for the academics and they pave a foundation for your future, but explore. Figure out who you really are and what makes you a person. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. College gives you the opportunity to figure out what your strengths and weaknesses and use that to your advantage.