Dorms: Hall Style vs. Suite Style

Dorms: Hall Style vs. Suite Style

The inside scoop on the two most popular on-campus living arrangements.

13499
Dorms: Hall Style vs. Suite Style
www.healthy-liv.com

For a college student living on campus, one of the major concerns is your living conditions. When picking out your preferred dorm, there is a lot to consider such as location, roommate situations, and one of the most important, the style. Choosing between suite or hall style can be a tough one so here is some info on the details of each!

Reminder: Of course every school is different but these are some general tips on each type of dorm.

Hall Style

Bathrooms: The bathrooms in a hall style dorm are most likely community style which means that the whole floor will share a bathroom. There are lots of showers, sinks, and toilets to use but not a whole lot of privacy. Most people are intimidated by the idea of sharing a bathroom with that many people but it is only a matter of time until you get used to it.

Bedrooms: Bedrooms in a hall style dorm are just standard dorm rooms. Nothing fancy or spacious but the do their job. They will most likely have a sink and mirror in them as well which is really convenient when you really need to brush your teeth but are too lazy to walk to the end of the hall.

Community: The community of a hall style dorm is like no other. By just leaving your door open as much as possible you can meet so many people and the whole floor will be like one giant family. This is the perfect place to make some of your best friends and by far one of the easiest ways.

Suite Style

Bathrooms: In a suite style dorm there will most likely be one small bathroom shared by six to ten people. Since suites are organized by gender you will not have to worry about that issue. Having to share a bathroom with less people is appealing but having to coordinate shower times with your suitemates can be a pain at times.

Bedrooms: Just like the hall style, the rooms are pretty standard dorm rooms. They will usually not have a sink included but that isn’t such a big deal.

Community: The community in a suite is much different than a hall. It is a lot more difficult to make a family out of your floor because suites are pretty secluded when it comes to the amount of people that can pass by your door unless they are let in. Of course it is always possible that you will get awesome suite mates and you guys will make your own little community amongst each other but unlike in a hall there are less people to bond with.

Both options of living on campus are great and you should pick the one that seems most appealing to you and has what you want in a home away from home!