How To Create The Perfect Dorm Aesthetic

Because you know it's the most important part of college.

817
Dormify

One of the more exciting things about going to college is figuring out your dorm room aesthetic. To me, this is a very important detail of the college lifestyle. Your room becomes your home away from home, and regardless of how much time you do or do not spend in your room, you want it to be representative of your personality while also being a cozy place to relax after a long day of classes. Decorating your room itself can be a fun activity to take your mind off all the college responsibilities that you face throughout the year.

There are a lot of steps that go into making a dull dorm room truly yours. Despite what many may think, you can still have a personalized room if you have a roommate or two. Bonus points for anyone who coordinates with their roommates! Since I am officially settled in, I thought I would share some words of wisdom when it comes to achieving your true dorm aesthetic. Channel your inner Joanna Gaines and let’s get started!

The first step (and probably a very obvious one) is to figure out how all of your things are going to coordinate with one another, or if you want them to coordinate at all. This means matching colors, prints, themes, etc. and you can even ask your roommates what they think, too. This way, if you decide you do want to match with your roommates, you can find a middle ground for coordination.

Personally, I like the idea of coordinating with your roommates, because I like the "put together" feeling it gives the space. That doesn't mean that you can't have a cute room if you don't talk with your roommates, but it does prevent the **awkward** divide that could happen when you have completely clashing styles.

Another thing to decide is how your desks and dressers are going to be decorated. This seems like a random thing to think about (especially as a freshman), but when I got to college with no idea how I was going to make this extra space feel like mine, I felt rushed to figure it out. You should never feel rushed when thinking about dorm decor. You can always buy things and organize yourself while you're at school!

Consider this a time where your college necessities also act as decoration. For example, if you wear a lot of jewelry, get a jewelry plate or two to put on your dresser. Organize your makeup brushes and nail polish bottles on your desk. Put up some picture frames and stack some of your favorite books. All of these things can help personalize your space, and you are using what you were going to bring anyway.

Now since we have covered the basics, on to the fun part! The bedding is figured out, all of your personal knick knacks and school supplies have their place, so the extra flair is all you need. I turn to three specific things when adding the finishing touches to a room: tapestries, lights, and plants (succulents, more specifically). Tapestries are great for customizing your room because they can be moved around and come in thousands of different prints. From artwork to patterns to words, tapestries allow for self-expression while hiding the hideous dorm room walls.

String lights can also help with bringing life to the room. Some string lights even come with clips attached for hanging pictures or notes. Bring the outdoors in with some succulents. Succulents add color to the room, and they are super easy to take care of because they do not require frequent maintenance.

Finding your dorm aesthetic is important in order to be comfortable in your new home. There are thousands of ways to make a dull space full of personality, while still being packable. Between bringing things from home and doing some last minute shopping, you are bound to create the perfect space. Once everything is in place, you'll never want to leave.