The Doomed "Swipe Right" Generation

The Doomed "Swipe Right" Generation

Stop swiping "right" and look up from your phone.

274
The Doomed "Swipe Right" Generation
Facebook

Is this generation doomed when it comes to dating? The obvious answer is, of course it is. It is not doomed in the fact of technological advances or even the autopilot cars. But it is totally doomed in the dating point of view. We are all occupied with school work, deadlines, and endless piles of work. This causes us to rely heavily on dating applications.

A typical way to "find your one true love" is to read a bio of some chick or dude that looks pretty decent and to swipe right. Next step is to chat for few days, exchange snapchats just to make sure you look the way you look in your profile pictures. And for the moment of truth: exchange numbers and let things kick off.

The beginning stages of getting to know someone are my personal favorite. You are learning new things about someone else, someone else's fears, someone else's hobbies, and someone else’s life. On the other hand, the beginning stages are a waste of time because why would you want to pollute your brain with useless facts about someone whose name you will not remember in a month or two.

But things do not always stay in the beginning stage, it proceeds to planning a date which of course goes well, but will you ever see the person again? The answer is probably not. You guys keep texting each other and at a certain point can be considered in a “textanship.” But there is no physical attraction, no actual body, just pointless useless words. The problem with an “textanship” includes the idea that you are actually in a relationship with your phone. And what is even more tragic about being in a “textanship” is not knowing how to rip apart from it.

So the obvious right choice is to completely ignore the other person and cut them out of your life without any explanation. Thinking about it, why does a stranger you only met once and been talking to for three-plus months even need an explanation!? They are after all… a stranger.

This story helps illustrate the issues of how Tinder or even Jswipe can be total failures. It is important to actually form bonds with a person’s touch and a person’s voice rather than their pointless texts. This shows the importance of looking up from your phone once in a while when you are waiting for a train and making eye contact with that attractive gentleman in an expensive suit because that three-second eye contact can lead to more than two months of pointless texting. There is not a point of wasting our time. If you choose to date online; just be straightforward. Straightforward how? If you want a one night stand— SAY IT. If you want a to gain a friend—SAY IT. If you want a meaningful relationship— SAY IT. Just be truthful to yourself and remember to pick your poison wisely.